Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAN and audio missing... tried bios driver update, no dice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joey v

joey v

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

So a couple weeks ago I was forced to reinstall windows xp from cd to my computer. After install, I discovered that my audio does not work, and there is no LAN option under "network connections" (just the 1394 net adapter).

I googled a bit and found a lot of "reinstall your bios driver" suggestions, so I did that, but it's still not working.

any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 delbrugge

delbrugge

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

woahhh you shouldn't have to touch your bios. go to device manager and tell me if you see and unknown devices (yellow question marks)

#3 joey v

joey v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

woahhh you shouldn't have to touch your bios. go to device manager and tell me if you see and unknown devices (yellow question marks)

Yes, quite a few
- Multimedia Audio Controller
- Other PCI Bridge Device
- PCI Memory Controller
- SM Bus Controller
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
- Unknown device
- Unknown device
- USB Device

looks like all my USB ports

#4 delbrugge

delbrugge

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

there what ur lookin for. go to the computers manufacture website. there you should see something like support or downloads on the page where you can look up the model number of your computer and get all the drivers you need that are missing.

#5 joey v

joey v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

there what ur lookin for. go to the computers manufacture website. there you should see something like support or downloads on the page where you can look up the model number of your computer and get all the drivers you need that are missing.

well.. the thing is, it's a comp I bought from one of those "pick your parts" websites. I know the model of the motherboard and chip, but that's about it

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

Then...amend the previous instructions...go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download all of the appropriate drivers for that board.

Louis

#7 delbrugge

delbrugge

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

ok go to the motherboards website and download the chipset, audio, LAN drivers, etc.

#8 joey v

joey v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

Then...amend the previous instructions...go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download all of the appropriate drivers for that board.

Louis

wow... you're not gonna believe this but I just found the driver disk for the motherboard in my cd case... I swear I've gone through this case half-a-dozen times and swore it wasn't there.

everything is working now. THANKS :thumbsup:

#9 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:24 PM

Glad to hear you got things going! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users