Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook express has quit communicating

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Boomyal

Boomyal

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

I have Outlook Express 6.0 and during an extensive Master Boot Record contamination it first started being unable to delete emails from the inbox and then it just quit communicating with Comacast Mail, the email server.

I believe it might be time to uninstall it, then reinstall it. I surmize that I could just go to add/remove software or use Revo Uninstaller to dump it. My concern is that I would like to, at minimum, save my addresses and if possible my few remaining emails.

Any guidance on all counts would be appreciated.

Also, how do I subscribe to just this thread. I do not see an option for it in 'options'. I only see subscribe to Forum and when I click on that I get an error that tells me I am already subscribed to the forum. Indeed I am subscribed to the thread that helped me deal with the MBR problem but that is done now.

Edited by Boomyal, 12 October 2010 - 06:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

Boomyal, do you get any error messages? If so, post the entire error message. If your email address appears in the message, xxx out the part before @comcast.net

To subscribe to this topic, click on Options. Choose Track this topic.

You will be presented 5 options, make your choice, click Proceed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 October 2010 - 08:22 PM.

#3 Boomyal

Boomyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

No Error messages QE. When I open OE it just sits there trying to 'authorize'. After a while a box pops up with the header 'Logon-pop3.comcast.net' In the box it shows Server: pop3.comcast.net Then has my user name (email addy) and below that my comcast password which is pre-populated but in dots. Below that, greyed out is the checked Remember Password box.

If I just hit ok (cancel is an option) the box goes away but if I minimize the OE page, there is a message box behind it that states that the POP3 server has not responded in 60 seconds. In the mean time the logon box pops back up again.

If I hit cancel in the logon box I get a larger box titled Outlook Express that says "some errors occured while processing the requested tasks.

In the errors box it says, in short, that my password was rejected.~~~invalid username/password.

Nothing has changed with my comcast username and password. I am currently accessing my emails, online, directly from Comcast and I am using those items to do it.

What started first was when I tried to delete an email from my inbox. If I hit the big red X on the toolbar, nothing happens. If I try to drag and drop the email to the 'deleted items' box I get a meassage that says "the selected message could not be moved-an error has occured.

Each of these maladies happened at different times, the delete problem first.

When I select Track This Topic in Options, I get this message.

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:
You are already subscribed to this topic or forum.

I am not already subscribed to this topic. I got this same message when I first posted this OE issue.

Edited by Boomyal, 12 October 2010 - 09:44 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:35 PM

I'm not 100% sure this is the cause of your problem, but it doesn't look right. Please note that it could be correct, even though I've never seen it nor have I seen it mentioned by anyone else.

Edit to add: I'm not convinced this is the issue. I changed my incoming server to pop3.comcast.net and my client connected to the Comcast server.

After a while a box pops up with the header 'Logon-pop3.comcast.net ' In the box it shows Server: pop3.comcast.net

Check your OE settings against those listed below. This is the only thing I know to tell you. It would be easier if there were an error number.

First, are you using any incarnation of Norton Internet Security? If so, the Symantec/Norton folks have an article about problems like this, so their suggestions should be attempted first. They have a troubleshooting routine you can run from that webpage. If that fails, they suggest removing and reinstalling Norton. Personally, I'd skip the "reinstalling" part.
If you're using McAfee or Norton, disable the wormstopper or Internet worm protection in its email settings. It's been known to cause problems.

Open Outlook Express.

choose Tools

choose Accounts

go to the Mail tab

click on your Comcast account to highlight it

choose Properties

go to the General tab

under Mail Account, enter whatever you'd like to call this account, like John Doe on Comcast

under User Information, enter Name (whatever you want to appear on your messages)

enter E-mail address (your full Comcast email address)

check "Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing"

go to the Servers tab

"My incoming mail server is a" POP3 "server"

Incoming mail is mail.comcast.net

Outgoing mail is smtp.comcast.net

enter your Account name or Email user name (your Comcast user ID, the part before "@comcast.net" in your email address)

enter your Password

check "Remember password"

make sure “Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” is NOT checked

check “My server requires authentication”

choose Settings

choose “Use same settings as my incoming mail server”

click OK

go to the Advanced tab

check both boxes for “This server requires a secure connection (SSL)”

change port number to 995 for incoming, 587 or 465 for outgoing

bump up the Server Timeouts slider to the high end

Turn off whatever email scanning your anti-virus package is doing. Comcast already scans incoming email for viruses, and your outgoing email isn’t going to be infected unless your machine is already infected, so there’s no point checking it all the time.

Unfortunately, I have no clue what to tell you about the greyed out Remember password box.

IF THE ABOVE DOES NOT WORK TO RESOLVE YOUR ISSUE OR IF YOUR SETTINGS DO MATCH WHAT IS LISTED:

I'm directing you to the Comcast Help Forums. Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

Go to the email forum, post your issue there. Our email experts will help you try to resolve the problem.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

edit to add: I'll ask the email experts there if 'Logon-pop3.comcast.net ' and Server:pop3.comcast.net are correct. I'll post what I find out as soon as I hear back from one of them.

Also, I'll inform the moderators of the subscription issue.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 October 2010 - 11:17 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:35 AM

An admin has checked and you are subscribed to the topic.

Reply notifications may be set as delayed though or the notifications are going into their spam folder.

You can go to My Controls and under subscritpions click on my topics to see if the topic appears in the list of topics you have subscribed to. If it is there you can then select a different type of subscritpion (eg immediate) by checking the topic, selecting what you want from the dropdown menu at the bottom and clicking with selected

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 October 2010 - 08:37 AM.

#6 Boomyal

Boomyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

Ok, I am getting email notification for this topic. I did go check, under MyControls/My Topics and it is listed there. It is almost as if it listed this thread automatically as I got the error message of 'already being subscribed', immediately after opening this thread.???? So, all is well.

On the OE communication problem, I will visit the Comcast forum as you suggest. I still do have the problem with the inability to delete mail that I do not think the Comcast Email Forum will be able to address.

#7 Boomyal

Boomyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

Ok all, thanks for all your assistance. Everything OE is working now on both computers. Don't ask me what I did (with help over at the Comcast Forum) because I do not have a clue. I really didn't do anything other that delete several old unused identities from OE.

Then at one point I was in Comcast Mail and I deleted an open email and everthing disappeared. Turns out that it got dumped into my OE that had not connected in some time. The strange thing is that I can now even delete mail from my OE inbox which I had been unable to do'

After all this was said and done, I did change my password in Comcast and recorded it in OE.

Again, all is miraculously working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users