Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop: c0000218 {Registry file Failure}

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 JStygar

JStygar

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

I have gone throught the forums and found out what to do in my situation, but I am needing a Windows XP start up disk and don't believe I have one. My error message is below:

STOP:C0000218 {Regostry File Failure}
The Registry cannot load the hive (file):
/SystemRoot/ system32/config/SOFTWARE
or its log or alternative.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physcial memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support for futher assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

You will have to get a Windows XP Installation CD and perform the work required. Ask a friend.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

Error Message When You Install Windows XP STOP c0000218 {Registry File Failure} - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084

C0000218 Registry File Failure - http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

Louis

#4 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

I do have the Reinstallation CD, will this work?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

You could also manually restore your registry using these instructions from microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

You will need to be able to boot to a XP Recovery Console, as is available on a Windows XP bootable CD.

EDIT: Removed link posted, due to Microsoft insistence that such disks are MS property. That's the reason why BC Staff no longer suggest downloading/using certain products where could be linked to MS/Windows XP...it's also the reason why a number of such products are no longer available by download on the Web ~Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 13 October 2010 - 01:23 PM.

#7 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

I have a startup disk now. I have followed the instructions all the way up to step 5:

5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows...
and so forth

I can not type anything in the lines. It will let me type one letter and that is it.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

Does that line ask which Windows install you want to boot into?

If so, type 1 and hit Enter.

Louis

#9 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

I will give it a try. I am working on the computer I am on so I have to go through the vicious cycle of getting it on to try to reply if your suggestion worked. Thanks for your help!

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

When I see:

Stop c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (insert file name here): or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent,
or not writable.

I am compelled to ask:

Do you have any Norton or Symantec products installed and if so, what are they and what versions (if you know).

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation: McAfee, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

If you have the affliction and any Norton or Symantec 9.X products installed, the best short term results seems to be boot in Safe Mode (so SAV is not loaded), schedule a chkdsk /r to run on the next reboot, reboot normally and allow the scheduled chkdsk /r to run and complete, uninstall SAV 9.X (of course being sure to use the Symantec removal tool from their WWW page) and if you are compelled to continue using SAV, upgrade to 10.X or better.

You can also boot into the XP Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r from there.

Some folks think using Last Known Good Configuration works sometimes... I am not a sometimes kind of guy though.

The chkdsk /r seems to be the ticket to get you running again long enough to do something else (but you might not boot normally again!).

There also may be some connection to the Intel graphics video chipset driver (possibly) and the SAV NTFS system driver.

Symantec has also discontinues support for their Symantec 9.x products although definition updates seem to still available.

"Symantec Antivirus 9.x will reach its End of Support Life as of March 31, 2009. Virus definition updates for version 9.x will be discontinued on April 1, 2009."

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_...l.jsp?gid=savce

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

The solution has been already posted:

You could also manually restore your registry using these instructions from microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:51 AM

Is that a solution or an idea for something to try that might work :flowers: ?

Have you actually seen this error in the real world or recreated it yourself and fixed it with KB307545?

A few weeks ago, I might have thought to try KB307545 too, but not anymore.

I would still like to find out someday of NAV 9.x is installed and if yes, a simple chkdsk /r has worked for me before (for at least one reboot).

I see your KB307545 and raise you one chkdsk /r...

Looks like JStvgar is kind of stuck stuck at the moment anyway :thumbsup:

Edited by joseibarra, 14 October 2010 - 06:01 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#13 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:12 AM

Apparently after I got through step one and filled in all of the command prompts my hard drive was not responding. I had to completely reinstall windows, but now I am having a problem with the resolution and picture. Just wanted to keep everyone up to speed on the problem. If you would like to give me some advice I would sure appreciate it, but at the moment I am going to try to find another forum to help me. Thanks everyone!

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

Did you have any Norton or Symantec products installed on the previous XP installation and if so, what?

If not, describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation: McAfee, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

#15 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

I was running Malwarebytes and Spybot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users