Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

emachine upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dstrattenfan

dstrattenfan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:31 PM

Ok I have had this PC emachines T1840 since 2002 (replaced fan in 04 still under warranty thank god) and I am really in need for a new PC but I just can't afford it.....How much upgrading do I need to do? Basically I do not play games, I do stream a lot of movies and tv....All this PC is used for is research and I am a forum lover and thats it really....OMG where do I begin

CPU : Intel® Celeron® Processor 1.80GHz (w/128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB)
Operating System : Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Chipset : Intel® 845GL chipset
Memory : 128MB DDR (PC2100)
Hard Drive : 40GB HDD
Optical Drive : 40 × 12x40 Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video : Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D (845GL shared)
Sound : AC '97 Audio
Network : 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem : 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals : Keyboard, Wheel Mouse, Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other : 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
Dimensions : 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

Before upgrading anything pop it open & see if it has a " Bestec " power supply.
If it does I suggest you replace it with a decent one before upgrading even a memory stick !

Bestec power supplies is what has given Emachine computers a bad name.
The Bestec is best known for going bad & frying the motherboard in the process.

Other then that you could find the max CPU it runs & grab a Pentium 4

To tell the truth with the prices being as low as they are now you could probably get a newer/better unit for about what it would cost to upgrade yours.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

I agree 100% with fairjoe, Basetec is just... bad. I would get a new system, preferably a dual core system, it will be much more of a performance boost, but not break the bank.

3939.png

#4 dstrattenfan

dstrattenfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:04 AM

I am stuck, I have a child age 5 and get very little to no support from scumbag X husband surprise right? and w/ the holidays coming no way I can't afford a new pc.....I need this one to last until my student loans come in around Feb or march......and i am fairly sure that the power thing was replaced and not the fan (IDK) as I said in my previous post....At that time it would not powerup period

A scan I did online said this is what I have
Current Configuration Computer Manufacturer: eMachines, Inc.
Computer Model: Imperial
Computer Version: Revision 0.90
Motherboard Make: TriGem Computer, Inc.
Motherboard Model: Imperial
Motherboard Version: 1.10
Processor: Intel Celeron 1.8Ghz
Memory: 2 slots: Slot 1 - 128 MB
Slot 2 - empty

And I found this http://www.memorystore.com/product.asp?mod...odule&qty=1 ok that is reasonable I can do 7$ however when I looked at comparison sites I found big differences in the prices went from 7$-$40 & $50......If I were to buy the memory stick would it at lease stop my pc from freezing and locking up? I feel very dumb asking this but I need my pc for school badly I know little about this stuff!

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

I can appreciate the situation.

If I was to upgrade anything on that system, memory would be the first/main priority. It has to be slow as heck with only 128meg available memory.

http://www.memorystore.com/product.asp?mod...odule&qty=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;PageSize=20

$55 will get you 1 gig of memory (2 sticks) that will pick up performance more than any upgrade with your current config. The system doesn't have any AGP slot to upgrade video, and I can't recommend a PCI video card, plus you have the power supply to contend with if you upgrade video. I wouldn't put anymore money than absolutely necessary into it. Any upgrade you make is a dead end that will not carry forward to a newer system.

I wouldn't throw money at a new power supply. If it has lasted this long...........................................

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 dstrattenfan

dstrattenfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

I can appreciate the situation.

If I was to upgrade anything on that system, memory would be the first/main priority. It has to be slow as heck with only 128meg available memory.

http://www.memorystore.com/product.asp?mod...odule&qty=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;PageSize=20

$55 will get you 1 gig of memory (2 sticks) that will pick up performance more than any upgrade with your current config. The system doesn't have any AGP slot to upgrade video, and I can't recommend a PCI video card, plus you have the power supply to contend with if you upgrade video. I wouldn't put anymore money than absolutely necessary into it. Any upgrade you make is a dead end that will not carry forward to a newer system.

I wouldn't throw money at a new power supply. If it has lasted this long...........................................

Thanks!!!! Actually I have to use Opera and it is actually really fast at first but I have to clear the history and all that stuff to get it running again....I dont dislike Opera but I would prefer a different browser.....I am tweaked to the max and every other browser just crashes after viewing two pages......I will get a new pc soon but I do not want to toss 50$ in it and then have it completely crash and I am SOL......I still do not get why the comparison of the prices jump so high $7-$50?????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users