Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 2011 Bug Affects Browsing Experience

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

AVG 2011 Bug Affects Browsing Experience, Could Also Hurt Websites - Softpedia

A serious bug in a component of the new AVG 2011 anti-malware products causes computers to flood websites with unnecessary HTTP requests and in many cases prevents users from properly using their browsers.

At this time the problem is not very well documented, but reports about it, dating back to the end of last month, can be found on various forums and discussion groups around the Web.

It appears that the bug is located in the LinkScanner component, which is found in the entire AVG 2011 product line, including the company's popular free antivirus....

According to a topic on the French AVG support forum, the company is aware of at least some of these problems and is working to resolve them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wildman424

wildman424

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

this explains a lot I've experienced glitches in my browsers since installing AVG

I may have a temporary workaround - I've disabled AVG's link scanner both components Search-Shield Surf-Shield & The AVG security Toolbar since there not critical components & it seems to be helping my browser went for dragging to flying again

Edited by wildman424, 12 October 2010 - 04:54 PM.

Wildman424
Malware Fighter in training
"A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted
to be that profound secret and mystery to every other."
-Charles Dickens

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:58 PM

In my books, AVG went belly up few years ago, when version 8.0 was introduced.
Since then, if it's not one problem, then another.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 ummagumma

ummagumma

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

After I installed AVG 2011 Free Edition had lots of strange events.

So I uninstalled it to discover I could not even connect to the net.

Somehow it or something in it disabled my network adapter :flowers:

umma :thumbsup:

Edited by ummagumma, 22 October 2010 - 12:34 PM.

Come on dude....turn up the low end!

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:49 AM

I tried the AVG2011 free edition on my Windows 7 PC and yes, the scanning of links in a web page is very slow. If you are using Instant Search in Google, which is ON by default, then you will see nothing for minutes.
The other thing I did not like was AVG Cache server which builds cache of all files on your hard disk for protection. Because of this your hard disk running for hours.
In spite of these, I found AVG2011 has improved detection rates compared to previous versions.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

IMHO! I would remove anything AVG completely and install MSE.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Give it a try you might like it. It's free from Microsoft and is rated up there with the big paid for programs.

#7 wildman424

wildman424

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

I agree that AVG isn't as good as it once was there has been problems with this new version :thumbsup:
Wildman424
Malware Fighter in training
"A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted
to be that profound secret and mystery to every other."
-Charles Dickens

#8 ABNINF

ABNINF

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:40 AM

IMHO! I would remove anything AVG completely and install MSE.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Give it a try you might like it. It's free from Microsoft and is rated up there with the big paid for programs.

I just started running MSE on all of our computers a couple of months ago. The jury is out at this point as I have a post in the malware/trojan section here BUT I think I may have had an infected machine when it was installed.

You're liking MSE though? How long have you been running it? Any ThinkPoint requests?

Thanks,
KC

#9 HydroLar

HydroLar

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

I've also heard that MSE used with a good scanner such as MBAM is all you really need - and the best part is they are free! This is the setup they now use where I work and it seems effective. I personally run the latest version of AVG with MBAM and the Emsisoft scanner (formerly A squared) but am considering dropping AVG for MSE. B)
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

#10 ABNINF

ABNINF

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:29 AM

I've also heard that MSE used with a good scanner such as MBAM is all you really need - and the best part is they are free! This is the setup they now use where I work and it seems effective. I personally run the latest version of AVG with MBAM and the Emsisoft scanner (formerly A squared) but am considering dropping AVG for MSE. B)

Well like I said, we had AVG for years and it was just letting too much stuff through over the last year that I spent HOURS cleaning (thanks to all the great information on this site!) so I switched everyone over to MSE after watching a few videos of it on youtube.

We are now running; MSE, MalwareBytes, Superanti Spyware and CCleaner.

Right now I've got something nasty and I'm having to run in Safe Mode.

KC

#11 ABNINF

ABNINF

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

As an aside ... thanks for the reply! I now know my 'notification' from BleepingComputer is working!

:clapping:

KC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users