Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Contemplating Buying New Laptop (Price Range $1000-1400)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PixarIsWin

PixarIsWin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

What laptop models do you guys suggest?

bolded terms are more required than the other specifications
Laptop needs:
-to be able to play 1080p video
-to be able to support high-def audio quality
-to have stable drivers for hardware

-to be able to run some "semi-new" games, like starcraft 2, MW2, Bioshock, Fallout 3
-standard battery life (how many hours are standard? I'm not aware of current technology)
-good screen (do laptops still implement TFT LCD?)

-good cooling system

Laptop doesn't need:
-good trackpad
-good keyboard
-good speakers
-above par aesthetics
If you can cut costs here from similar models, please do so!

Summary= I'm looking for a laptop with stable hardware that can handle HD 1080p media playback with good audio support. The computer does not need to have good on-board input or output peripherals (except for the screen), but will need to support higher-grade external peripherals.
(ability to play video games is a plus)

Also: since I will be getting the laptop between January and June, will new models of the Processors be released for laptops?
Are the prices also subject to drop?

Hopefully the model will be able to stay current for at least 1-2 years.

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:25 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834152192

Have a look at the details, 17 inch screen, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 4GB DDR3, Core i7, Wide SXGA+(Display screen), windows 7 home premium, 500GB harddrive, HD audio with 2 speakers and a subwoofer, built in webcam and 1 year warranty!

It's really a good laptop for this price! Recommend to buy this laptop :blink:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 PixarIsWin

PixarIsWin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

that is a nice find!

Although in one review, the buyer said that the laptop tends to overheat.

What stats should I look at for cooling efficiency?

Are there any laptops with dedicated sound cards or is this only available for higher-end laptops?

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:06 PM

that is a nice find!

Although in one review, the buyer said that the laptop tends to overheat.

What stats should I look at for cooling efficiency?

Are there any laptops with dedicated sound cards or is this only available for higher-end laptops?

I don't think there is dedicated sound cards but my toshiba has Dolby Sound Room. If it does overheat, you can buy a laptop cooler. I just bought one today :blink:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-042-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834991039

So i would recommend you buying the cooler. It is pretty simple to setup, just place the laptop on the cooler then plug the USB into the laptop. Simple!

Edited by killerx525, 16 October 2010 - 11:10 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users