Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive clicking, computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BostonRott

BostonRott

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

I have a 4yr old HP Pavilion desktop, running Win XP with SP3. The computer is usually left running 24/7. Last night, I decided (for no particluar reason) to turn it off when I was done. Used the Start button, told it to shut down, and left for bed.

Tried to start the computer this afternoon, and there's a loud clicking coming from the HDD. Fans run fine, power supply seems fine, monitor is working ok. It brings up the initial blue Intel screen, tries about 3 cycles of clicking (clicks maybe 6 or 8 times), then goes to a black screen which says:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I made 3 recovery disks for the computer when I bought it. I inserted the first one, and got an error about the partition.

However, there is data on this that I really don't want to lose. Is there any way to get this up and running one more time??

All of my photos are on another HDD (I was using the C drive to only run software, and datafiles were stored on a separate drive that I put in), but hubby started using the PC about a month ago, and some of his work stuff is on there, and of course he's facing client deadlines.

I'm fully prepared to look for a new PC, but would really like help in trying to salvage what is on this clicking drive, if possible. It's a 500Gb drive, as supplied by HP. I don't know anything more than that about it.

Thank you kindly,
Gretchen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

The "Click of Death" is really bad news. Best scenario, the circuit board on the hard drive is faulty and can be replaced with another identical board to allow data extraction. If it is an internal fault (likely) then a professional data recovery service might be the only option. You might try freezing it in a plastic bag and trying to access it then, but the "freezer trick" is really grasping at straws. I sympathize, I lost 2 Maxtor IDE drives to the click of death.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 BostonRott

BostonRott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:00 PM

Thank you, that's kind of what I figured. Thought it might be worth asking. While I'm comfortable popping in new HDD's and memory, I don't feel adept at trying to shop/replace the board of an HDD.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

I don't feel adept at trying to shop/replace the board of an HDD.

finding the right one will be harder that replacing it ,only a few screws and a small ribbon cable or 2

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users