Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 Fails to Open

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bowling300

Bowling300

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

When I first start IE8 it opens and runs fine. If I close the application and come back later, one of 2 things happens, either the app won't open (but shows as 2 processes in Task Manager) or opens veeerrry slowly with an error asking to open to previous session. I was running Firefox and had similar issues so deleted it. Computer was scanned with updated definitions with Adaware, then Malwarebytes and no issues noted. Viral scans with Avira were also clear. I clear the IE cache on exit. The other issue that appeared at the same time was that the system would not shut down (would hang at the "Saving Settings" screen).

My system is XP with SP 3 installed, running a quad core AMD.

The most recent change was that I had to change ISP carriers and they routed my internet through the power outlet. Could this be the issue? Internet is fast when online.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

Might as well try the following, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737.

Louis

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

It sounds like your IE is failing to close properly. Try resetting your IE as hamluis suggested. If that fails to correct the issue uninstall and resinstall your IE.

#4 Bowling300

Bowling300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

Thanks. I will give it a try and post results.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:48 PM

but shows as 2 processes in Task Manager

See, if you have those two iexplore.exe processes running right after your computer starts and BEFORE you even touch IE icon.
If so, you may be infected with a bootkit.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Bowling300

Bowling300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

I reset IE, same symptoms. Reinstalled IE, no changes. I note that I had 21 instances of wuauclt.exe running in Task Manager this morning. I searched my system and found 3 instances: one in windows/system; one in window/update (as a cab file) and one in a temp file.

I'll look up how to delete a bootkit but any other suggestions?

#7 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

21 instances of Automatic Updates? You could very well have a malware infection.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

Do those same 21 instances of windows update show up constantly?

Can you download: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx and verify the locations of those other Windows Update Processes?

#9 Bowling300

Bowling300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

Gabrial: it starts with 1 process and then by the end of the day with multiple copies. I've scanned with 3 separate malware screening tools (SbyBot, Malwarebytes, Adaware) with no hits. Using the Systinternals Process Explorer shows them in the System32 subfolder.

System stability is degrading with the inability to get to the internet at all (using another computer to access this in case you're wondering) and system refuses to shut down/reboot. Most (windows) programs fail to start or are significantly delayed, yet processes indicate they are running using 23 to 150K memory. DDS and GMER scans completed and will be uploaded to a separate link. Nothing on those jumps out to me.

The ONLY thing different from a week ago is that I changed from cable service to direct connect (Centurylink). My laptops (wireless) work fine but my desktop is connected by ethernet cable through power system.

Frustrating as all get out!

Thanks everyone for your input and help.

#10 Troy88

Troy88

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:34 PM

I am struggling with this very same problem. In addition to that I have redirects and search engine redirects in explorer and firefox. I am convinced that I have a rootkit virus issue and am gathering information to post here for help.

With that being said, I believe that the multiple instances of Windows Update are caused by the autoupdate failing because the virus has cut access to windos update resources.

I will wath this thread before I start one of my own. Hopefully, these good folks can help us. :thumbsup:

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

Hello

@ Troy88, please start your own topic in the Am I Infected forum.

@ Bowling300,

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic353687.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users