Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Use Net Send

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mike19865586

Mike19865586

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

Two computer running Windows XP Service Pack 3, Messenger service enabled on both, and Firewalls inactive. When trying to send a message from either of the computers, I receive an error message stating that the message alias could not be found. The correct syntax has been used and I can also see the computers when using Net View. I have even tried third party SW, but remote computers are showing up as being Offline. Anybody that could offer some help, would be greatly appreciated. (I am able to ping the other users). I cannot send messages to myself or others.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

Are you using DNS or IP to send the message? Are both computers part of the same domain? What about work group?

EDIT: by enabled does that mean that the service is running on each of the computers, meaning that when you look at the service START is greyed out?

Edited by nitekram, 12 October 2010 - 12:27 PM.

#3 Mike19865586

Mike19865586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

All computers are part of the same workgroup. I have tried using the DNS name and IP Address, neither of which work. Yes, all required services are enabled and running.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

Is net bios running?

Try sending a message to your own computer and see if it works. You may need to enable simple file and printer sharing for net send to work.

#5 Mike19865586

Mike19865586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

I have enabled Netbios over TCP\IP on both computers and enabled simple file sharing, but still no change.

#6 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

Try sending your self (your IP or DNS) a message and see it if works - it should as it does on mine. Also, not sure how large your domain is but you may also try to send to the domain and see if the other computer gets it. Also, I worked at one location and had messenger turned on and still was not able to send - meaning it might be being block, as it is a security risk for any computer that is on the internet.

#7 Mike19865586

Mike19865586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

I am unable to net send to myself. I'm not working in a domain, only a workgroup (Which is the same across the network).

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

What security programs do you have installed?

#9 Mike19865586

Mike19865586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

Nothing right now. I occasionally run Spyware and Malware programs.

#10 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

This usually happens when the "Messenger" service is not running on the destination computer. What command string are you typing into the command prompt?

You should know that if you run this service on a machine connected directly to the internet, you will start getting spam messages from bots that tell you to buy their software and stuff. That's why ever since SP2 it's disabled by default. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330904 for more details.

Check to make sure it's running. On the machine you are sending messages to, type "net start" and look through the list for "Messenger". If it's not running, go into your services and start the service, and set it to "Automatic".

Edited by Gabrial, 12 October 2010 - 10:32 PM.

#11 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

Even if you use a workgroup - you should still be able to send to everyone in that work group. LINK

Anyway the fact that you cannot send it to yourself brings up our issue. I am looking for an answer but have not found one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users