Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Speaker Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tallahassee lassie

tallahassee lassie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:35 AM

:thumbsup: Hello everyone. I have a question. I have a Packard Bell Multimedia Model 854 desktop, running windows 98. The speakers are hooked to the monitor on the sides, and plugged underneath the front monitor. They are working fine. What I would like to do is remove the side mounted speakers. I have another set of speakers that I want to attach to the back of the tower which has an out designated. The speakers I have have a mini plug-in that plugs in fine in the back of my tower. After plugging them in, I notice no sound. These speakers do not have a AC plug in. They work fine at my neighbor's house plugging them in as-is in the back of there desktop. Is there somewhere (either software) somewhere on my PB where I can change to make this function work?. I am not that bright when it comes to computer's, but any help would be appreciated. ...Always...Marion :flowers:
Keep on smiling---Mare

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:48 AM

What happens when you plug the new speakers into the jack on the monitor where your old speakers plugged in? That speaker jack on the back of the case might not lead anywhere.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

I tried to find some info at http://www.packardbell.com/ but they wont give me anything without a serial number. Other PB help sites say they need the motherboard type to help as they say the model number "means nothing". :thumbsup:

So without information I can only guess. A lot of confusion is caused because sound cards used to have amplifiers in them. Thus you could plug in the unpowered "PC speakers" and get reasonable volume out of them. Modern sound cards do not have amplifiers in them so if you plug in PC type speakers you will hear (next to) nothing.
PB may have an amplifier hidden somewhere in the monitor/speaker setup.

Try your sound ports with powered speakers (ones you have to connect to the mains and switch on).

There are a whole load of other options but it depends what you are aiming at.

hth :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 tallahassee lassie

tallahassee lassie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:46 AM

:thumbsup: Thank you Rimmer and Saxif. First of all, PB is no longer in the US. I am aware of the other site for US customers. It is priorityonesupport.com I will check again with them. Again, thanks for your help. I will post back and let you know how I resolved this..Always..Marion :flowers:
Keep on smiling---Mare

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users