Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer paritally boots

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 callaghan

callaghan

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hi,
I have a problem with my laptop at home. I cannot get windows to fully boot up. I can get to the logon screen, and even log onto my "side" (my wife and I have our own sides,) but when we log on, there is nothing on the desktop at all. No start menu, no programs, and even the "windows" key, the one that brings up the start menu, doesn't do anything. I get the same desktop background as I've had, and I can bring up the task manager, and from there I can run programs, but I can't get anything onto the desktop, or get any special keys working. I have also lost my internet access, and my wireless adapter tells me that "Windows cannot configure this network." Also, I have been having problems with certain programs wanting to close unexpectedly. For instance, spoolsv and win32 will close. I get a pop up box that says they have encountered a problem, and has to close immediately.

I am thinking of just getting a new computer, as this is on my hp pavillion laptop, and it is getting old. Any thoughts or suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

start a new task called cmd and in the black box type in chkdsk /f and reboot the machine.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 callaghan

callaghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

start a new task called cmd and in the black box type in chkdsk /f and reboot the machine.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

I can boot in any mode, just nothing comes up on the desktop. But, that's not an issue anymore. I basically reformatted the hard drive, and reinstalled windows and all the drivers that came with the computer. Unfortunately, I can't connect to my usual wireless network. All I get is a "Windows could not find a certificate to authenticate" or something like that. Any ideas?

Thanks for the fast replies, you guys are always helpful as usual.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

Check your wireless settings to see what is set up for you to authenticate with. WPA2 should be used if your networking equipment can support it.

#6 callaghan

callaghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

It is set up for wpa-psk with tkip encryption. I can't really change it as there are three computers on this network, and I only use one of them. Someone else mentioned something about the IEEE 802.1x authentication box being checked, but that page is all greyed out, as in I can't change anything on that page. It is checked, however, and I am pretty sure it wasn't before. It only did this after I reinstalled windows. I won't be able to get back to the library tonight, but I will try tomorrow. Thanks.

#7 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

This is a known bug in XP. Delete that configuration and create a new one. This time, before selecting WPA-PSK, go to the "Authentication" tab first, and uncheck "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network". Then go back to the first "Association" tab and set up your WPA-PSK network.

Edited by Gabrial, 12 October 2010 - 10:22 PM.

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:09 AM

First check the simple things. Right click an open area on your desktop, choose Arrange Icons By, and be sure the Show Desktop Icons option has a check mark next to it.

If you see no desktop icons and no Taskbar, this usually means that the program explorer.exe is not running (and it needs to be) or the program is afflicted. A good way to think about it is that explorer.exe "is" your desktop.

If this is the case there is generally malicious software afoot.

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation: McAfee, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Sometimes your anti malware will quarantine or delete your explorer.exe file (or other critical XP system files) if it thinks that the file is infected. The file may really be infected, but you can find out for sure and then reconsider your anti malware options.

You need to get your desktop working, then you can resolve your potential malware issue.

From your background image, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager.

Look at the Processes tab and if the explorer.exe process is not running, launch it.

Click File, New Task and in the box enter:

%windir%\explorer.exe

Click OK and see if you get your desktop back.

If explorer.exe is already running in the Processes tab, it is likely the object of the affliction and may need to be replaced (which is not difficult).

If you see that explorer.exe is already running, using Task Manger, End the explorer.exe process and launch a new one as indicated above.

If things look okay now, your system is still not fixed, but it should be usable enough so now you can fix it.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

joseibarra, maybe you missed it, he said he reformatted and reinstalled after those issues. :thumbsup:

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

Oh yeah - I see that was taken care of with the reinstall.

I will go back on mute :thumbsup:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 callaghan

callaghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

Thanks to all that have helped. I am now struggling with getting my computer to connect properly to my wireless network. I can get on any other system, including my local library one, where I am at now. The problem seems to be in the router itself because I can connect to many other wireless points, however; I have other computers on my network (two others to be exact, running windows 7, and they have not had any problems at all. I have tried to set up a new connection, and everything else related to google searches about the page being greyed out, etc. All i get is a "windows was unable to locate a certificate to log you on to the network ..." But, the network is not set up for a certificate, or at least I don't think it is. None of the other computers need a cert, and mine didn't before I reformatted. I have updated drivers, and windows, and java all that other good stuff online at the library, but the problem persists. I may have to just have to hire an IT dude...lol.

Again, thanks to all that have helped.

#12 callaghan

callaghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

I had to setup everybody again. Turned everything off, and rebooted all the computers, and logged everything exactly the same way. Now it works just fine. Go figure!

Thanks again for everything guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users