Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation Problems With 3com 3cr990-tx-97 Nic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:32 AM

Howdy all:

I inherited an old Dell Dimension 4100 (P3 800, 512MB RAM, GeForce 2 GTS and SB sound card). I reformatted the drive using NTFS and did a nice, shiny new installation of Windows XP Pro and updated it to SP2. The machine performs flawlessly, stand alone. When I was given the machine, I also received a still shrink wrapped 3Com 3CR990-TX-97 network adapter (on the market up until 2003-2004). After physical installation of the card, XP recognized new hardware.

3Com's directions are to use the New Hardware Wizard to point to the 3Com EtherCD CD-R and "Windows will find the installation files." Too easy, right? So naturally, the Wizard complains that it failed to find what I'm guessing is an .inf file that it likes. "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software." This problem occurs with both the drivers on the CD and the copy I downloaded directly from the 3Com site.

Here's what I did to troubleshoot:

- Reseated card (the slot I used was formerly occupied by a functioning 56k model)
- Moved the card to a different PCI slot (same result)
- Made sure that the card had no obvious physical damage (it's in pristine shape)
- Researched on 3Com's website and found not a single knowledgebase article

I then attempted to install by choosing to install XP's built in drivers, after which XP warns:

"Installing this device driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware... Do you want to continue..."

This NIC is approved according to the HCL for both NT and XP, so I just clicked Yes.

After installing the driver, the very last Wizard window complains "Cannot Start this Hardware... This device cannot start (Code 10)." The MS knowledgebase suggests getting updated drivers, but I downloaded the latest and greatest version direction from 3Com in order to experience this latest and greatest of frustrations.

I haven't tried that card in a different machine because my AMD is also running Windows XP SP2 and I suspect that the installer would still have problems. I also haven't tried a different NIC in that old Dell because my other machines either have built in 1394 or don't run an MS OS.

Anyhow, hopefully that's enough background... I've never had the Hardware Wizard complain that it can't find the drivers unless I forgot to insert a CD-R or something dumb. Is there any way to manually install the drivers? Anyone ever successfully install a 3Com 3CR990-TX-97 before on XP SP2 and can tell me the trick they used to get it to stick or anything I'm totally missing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:02 AM

Go here and download the latest driver for the card: http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result....X-97&order=desc

It's an .exe file, and is rather large so it may take a while.

Double click on the install file and it should install automatically (can't try it on my system to be sure). If not, look for a setup file, or an .exe file that will start the install process.

Also, once that's done, you can invoke the Add New Hardware Wizard and point it at the new drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Saxif

Saxif
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:52 PM

Thanks, but that's the exact driver file that I was attempting to use. As I mentioned before, I tried both the accompanying CD and then new drivers downloaded from 3com.com. I know the post was long, but I tend to err on the side of too much information rather than too little, having spent a couple years doing support myself.

I know people have gotten their NICs to install under XP SP2, but I have no idea how. My next step is to hack around in the .inf file, but there has to be an easier way that I'm just not seeing.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:24 AM

Did you start with it fresh? Delete the NIC from Device Manager and reboot, then cancel the Windows hardware wizard and double-click the driver file to see if it's an auto-installer?

I had the reverse problem with a scanner once - downloaded the "driver" exe, double clicked to install, everything clicks and whirs but the scanner doesn't work. After trying eighteen times I found the "driver" was an installer which created a folder and dumped all the installation files and drivers in there. Once I found that I was home and hosed. Maybe you are dealing with something similar?
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Saxif

Saxif
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:45 AM

I knew it was going to be something stupidly simple. I was using the correct install process, but the totally pointless error messages were a distraction that led me in the wrong direction. The fact that 3com hasn't updated the installation instructions for the last few years doesn't help either, and you have to make educated guesses using the Win NT instructions.

What I did was try yet another PCI slot and when I rebooted, the OS immediately recognized it as a 3com network adapter. After a lot of digging, it seems this card likes to sit as far away from the ISA slot as possible. Not all PCI slots are created equal.

XP was bleeping about not finding the appropriate drivers on the installation CD because it couldn't tell exactly what kind of card it was dealing with.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:15 PM

Glad you fixed it! :thumbsup:

Hmmm... BIOS settings, IRQ allocation, PCI slots... PNP...there's something there in the grey murk. :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:52 PM

Yea rimmer I think it's got sumthin to do with every other slot shares the same irq or something like thats resources sumthin.
The mirk is kinda thick here too today LOL.

Also in bios any onboard device has to be disabled or ya gets conflicts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users