Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to stop Nero Write DVD by using minifilter driver?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 linlan

linlan

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:35 AM

Hi, everyone.I am developing a minifilter driver.The main function is control DVD/CD for ReadOnly or WriteOnly.As you know that minifilter is a new driver interface in WinDDK whitch has a callback function to dispatch IRP_MJ_XX function.In callback function there is no irp data package instead of FLT_CALLBACK_DATA which include irp data package .I know Nero write data to DVD through SCSI protocal,but I don't know how to stop it write.Could help me solve this problem?Thanks very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:43 AM

Two things:

1. If you're writing anything driver related, you need to REALLY FREAKING KNOW EXACTLY what you are doing and why. Copy/pasting someone else's internet code for ANYTHING going into a driver is asking for disaster. If you write crappy code in userspace and something goes wrong, it's no big deal, your program crashes. If you write crappy code in the Kernel, you will cause blue screens of death.

I suggest actually learning about driver development in general before trying to write something as complicated as you're planning on here.

2. I seriously doubt anyone is going to go out of their way to help you shut off a legitimate feature of Nero. Nero doesn't use the SCSI protocol anyway... not sure where you heard that. Unless of course you're using a SCSI CDROM. Because if you're not using a SCSI CDROM then it's probably connected via IDE or SATA, which both use ATAPI, not SCSI.

If you explain why you're trying to stop Nero, and/or the circumstances you're dealing with, depending on the scenario we might be able to find a better alternative.....

Billy3

EDIT: Oh, and you can't really do write only, because pretty much every burning software is going to need some form of read in order to ensure the disk is burnt correctly.

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 12 October 2010 - 10:46 AM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 linlan

linlan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for your help?I want to achieve this goal because i am learnig a Minifilter driver program.I think the driver can perceive "Write" information When Nero want to write CD/DVD.So that's a simple filter operation.I write my program in Windows XP Profession.Like what your said before i write high quality code i need to learn many about driver.Could you introduce me some books about Windows driver development?Thanks very much!

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

I understand *what* you are trying to do. I am trying to understand *why*. Why would someone want to block Nero from writing? And if you wanted to block Nero from writing, why not use the permissions system to do that already built into Windows? You can control who has access to the DVD drive using Nero BurnRights.

On the other hand, the person using the machine needs to be a limited user for BurnRights to be effective. But an administrator could easily disable your mini filter driver as well, so you're not really preventing anything.
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 linlan

linlan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:12 AM

Yes,but i want to write a minifilter program to achieve that goal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users