Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow startup - benchmark speeds for startup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cbeamson

cbeamson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:53 AM

I've inherited a 5 year old laptop from a colleague and it is painfully slow.
Before I waste too much time on it, I'd really like to get some sort of benchmark for what a reasonable boot time is.
It takes 7 minutes from hitting the power switch through startup to being able to get any response from the desktop.

Just to complicate things, when I originally received the laptop is was carrying the "Security Tool" malware.
I'm reasonably confident this has now been fully removed - AVG, Malwarebytes and Spybot all do full checks with no faults now.

The OS is Windows XP Professional.
The laptop is a DELL Inspiron 630M (I'm guessing around 5 years old)
248MB RAM
Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz
37GB hard drive with about 6GB space.

Currently it takes 3 minutes 30 seconds to get to the Ctrl/Alt/Del screen;
Another minute to the desktop.
Then another 2 minutes till the taskbar appears and the Start button responds to a click.
When you close a window it takes a while and the background takes several seconds to redraw.
Generally, all activity on the laptop is very slow - just opening the control panel takes the best part of a minute.

Without spending money on more RAM or other hardware, is it fair to expect this laptop to perform better?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:24 AM

The laptop is a DELL Inspiron 630M (I'm guessing around 5 years old)
248MB RAM
Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz
37GB hard drive with about 6GB space.

with those limited resources
I would recommend that you install a light weight linux distro (LXDE Desktop or XFCE Desktop)

That would likely speed up your computer

Edited by Ramchu, 12 October 2010 - 06:25 AM.

#3 cbeamson

cbeamson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I know that by today's standards the spec is not too hot.
Even so, at point of purchase it did at least operate in a reasonable fashion.

I was hoping to get the laptop into a reasonable state then pass it on to a family member who's elderly and easily confused.
XP is what they're used to and I'd rather not blow their mind with a different OS!

Perhaps I'm fooling myself by thinking that I could get it back to a user-friendly state without too much pain.
I'll try seeing how much I can safely uninstall / disable / defrag - if all else fails might go down the Linux route.

#4 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

If I am reading your original post correctly - one of the problems is that you only have 6 gig of free space

Also do not under estimate this family member
The Linux desktop is no harder to use - plus you do not have to mess with antivirus software (not to say that security is to be completely ignored )and load the system down with additional resource hogging ad on programs.

What will this person be using the computer for ?
web access - e-mail - possibly watching some online videos - viewing some saved family pics ?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#6 cbeamson

cbeamson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

Snapshot attached

Attached Files

#7 cbeamson

cbeamson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:10 AM

If I am reading your original post correctly - one of the problems is that you only have 6 gig of free space

Also do not under estimate this family member
The Linux desktop is no harder to use - plus you do not have to mess with antivirus software (not to say that security is to be completely ignored )and load the system down with additional resource hogging ad on programs.

What will this person be using the computer for ?
web access - e-mail - possibly watching some online videos - viewing some saved family pics ?

Without doing a total character assasination of the person in question (!) lets just say any change to their idea of the norm would not go down well.
the 6GB free space is in part due to about 10GB of MS Outlook pst files which I need to hang onto for the short term.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

You need way more RAM then 256Megs.

#9 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

If you upgrade the ram to 1 gig it would be able to run XP reasonably well. :thumbsup: Used 1gb sticks are running about $15-20 right now on ebay.

Edited by Gabrial, 12 October 2010 - 09:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users