Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobo+Liquid cooling kit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Antiz

Antiz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:36 AM

To get to the point, I need help choosing a Mobo and liquid cooling for the rig I want.

Chassis Model: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition (3.2GHz) (6 Core) (6 MB Cache) AM3 Socket
System Memory: 2 sets of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 
Power Supply: ABS SL series SL1050 1050W Continuous @50C ,80 PLUS SILVER Certified,Modular Cable Design,"Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x OCZ Agility 2;  2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Hard Drive Set 2: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-08B1LT/BLK/B/ASUS - OEM
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (EVGA 012-P3-1475-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked+ FTW 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support)
Sound Card: Auzen X-Fi Bravura 7.1 (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans [x3]

My main problem with the mobo is that I'm not sure which ones have BIOs that support the 6 core CPU that I want to use. I was originally looking at an [ASUS M4A785T-M/CSM AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard], but if Im reading the specs correctly it doesnt have enough PCIe slots for my video+sound cards either.

As for liquid cooling, I've simply never done it before. I'm mainly looking for CPU L/C'ing, but something for the CPU plus both video cards would be nice to compare prices with. I've glanced around on Newegg, but the cooling kits they have seem to be rather flimsy and have leaking problems after a month or so.

Lastly, the PSU says it supports i7 CPUs but doesnt mention Phenom II x6's... will it still work with the CPU?

Extra details:
The liquid cooling and PSU will have to support the CPU being O/C'd anywhere between 3.3GHz and 3.9GHz, Video cards as high as possible with complete stability, and the RAM will likely not be O/C'ed. A mobo with easy [lol, as easy as it gets that is] O/C tools like a core unlocker and such would be nice also.

I'm an extreme software techie and know what I want, but dont know bleep about what hardware has what I want lol. I can easily put one together once I have the parts, but getting the right ones is a pain in the ass for me ^.^;; Any help would be greatly appreciated.
*changed the HDD and PSU as per advice.

Edited by Antiz, 12 October 2010 - 08:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

I wouldn 't get liquid cooling because of leakage and i reckon you should get 1000W power supply because of double graphics, double harddrives and sound card plus other components. Also change the western digital to a non Green model because they use low power and get the one that runs at 7200 rpm.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Antiz

Antiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:51 AM

Isn't liquid cooling pretty much needed since I'll be getting both the CPU and graphics overclocked? I figured because of the leakage issues that could occur that I would just get a non-conductive liquid. I'm just not sure where to look for a cooling kit that doesnt suck straight out of the box.

As for the PSU and HDD advice, thanks a lot. I didnt even catch that the HDD was only 5400 -__-;;

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

If I may. I would suggest a Full size tower. It would make installing what you have chosen easier and allow for better air flow. This two sites might give you some help.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=c...ed=0CCsQ8wIwAA#

http://www.corsair.com/products/800d/default.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users