Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vivienne

vivienne

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:28 AM

I noticed the little flag at the bottom of the screen was saying I had three messages. One of them said something like Windows Defender wanted to scan my computer. I clicked it and it appear it is a virus programme which you can update and scan your computer with. I have had my computer for about a year and have never noticed this before and it isn't listed in my programmes when I tried to find it again. I did a search and it showed it in the control panel but I couldn't see it so I did a search in the control panel and found it and did a shortcut. Has it come into the computer with an automatic update from Microsoft? I had just done an update of AVG Anti-Virus to Version 11 but don't know whether the message about Windows Defender was there before I did the update.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:02 AM

What OS are you using? It comes packaged with Vista.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:11 AM

The version of Windows Defender included with all versions of Windows 7 and Vista is part of the operating system so it cannot be uninstalled. However, you can disable or turn it off.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:19 AM

Has it come into the computer with an automatic update from Microsoft?
Yep, it is offered via Windows Update.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 12 October 2010 - 07:20 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 vivienne

vivienne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the information. I have Windows 7 but it just seemed strange that I have had the computer for about a year but never seen any sign of Windows Defender so something must have turned it on. The only thing I have done differently is download the new version of AVG but I would have thought that would be more likely to turn it off. I might as well leave it turned on and will keep details of the link telling you how to turn it on or off in case I decide I don't want it on.

#6 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

Maybe a good malware turned it ON. :thumbsup:

Edited by ErikAlbert, 12 October 2010 - 04:37 PM.

ErikAlbert - "Simplicity is always brilliant" - "Every software sucks, some suck more than others."
WinXPproSP3 + Comodo Firewall + FirstDefense-ISR + Anti-Executable + Sandboxie + ShadowProtect - no scanners, no cleaners.
I remove superfluous and evil objects, not because they are there, but because they weren't there.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

Windows Defender is turned on by default in Windows 7 and Vista but some anti-virus programs may disable Defender to avoid conflicts. If you uninstall your anti-virus and replace it with something else, the settings may change again. Defender can also be turned on or off by changing Group Policy settings so you may have changed them at some point and don't remember.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

I noticed the little flag at the bottom of the screen was saying I had three messages. One of them said something like Windows Defender wanted to scan my computer. I clicked it and it appear it is a virus programme which you can update and scan your computer with.

Windows Defender is not an anti-virus program.

What it is:

Windows Defender detects and removes spyware

Windows Defender is software that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software by detecting and removing known spyware from your computer. Windows Defender features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, minimizes interruptions, and helps you stay productive.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...er/default.mspx

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

I noticed the little flag at the bottom of the screen was saying I had three messages

Thanks Queen-Evie. Your reply reminded me of addressing the messages.

In Windows 7, Windows Update is part of Action Center which was introduced to make updating the computer more convenient. To check for updates or read any messages, you just click the Action Center icon in the taskbar when it appears. Defender is updated frequently via Windows Updates or you can manually download the latest definition updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.

Action Center lets you decide which Windows 7 alerts you see and which you don’t.

Action Center consolidates message traffic from key Windows maintenance and security features, including Windows Defender and User Account Control. If Windows requires your attention, the Action Center icon appears in the taskbar. Click it and you’ll see both alerts—and suggested fixes for any problems...

Windows 7 features: Action Center

To manually access Windows Update go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > and click Check for Updates under Windows Update.

Use your Start menu to check for updates in Windows 7
Windows 7 features: Windows Update

#10 vivienne

vivienne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:03 AM

Thanks for advice received. I understand more about Windows Defender now and will make sure I run it to try and protect my computer.

#11 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:10 AM

I ran these Microsoft scanners so far :
1. Microsoft Security Essentials (more than 70 minuts runtime)
2. Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (more than 80 minuts runtime)
3. Microsoft Windows Defender (more than 50 minuts runtime)

Each time a full scan : "No malware found." in a total of 200 minuts or 3 hours and 20 minuts. That's very fast. Anything else ?
ErikAlbert - "Simplicity is always brilliant" - "Every software sucks, some suck more than others."
WinXPproSP3 + Comodo Firewall + FirstDefense-ISR + Anti-Executable + Sandboxie + ShadowProtect - no scanners, no cleaners.
I remove superfluous and evil objects, not because they are there, but because they weren't there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users