Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

free encryption software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:12 AM

Hi

Does anyone know of any reliable free encryption software?

Occasionally l have to send paper notes to clients, which is really time consuming, costly and not very secure.
I came up with the idea of downloading notes to a CD and sending this instead.
Now all i have to do is find a away of encrypting the CD and decrypting it the other end.

Anyone have any ideas please?

many thanks

Geoff
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:11 AM

Geoff,

I recommend you encrypt the files and not the CD.

Put all your files in a ZIP container and encrypt it with AES (that's an encryption option of your compression utility).
The names of your files will still be visible when someone opens the ZIP file, but the content not. The password is needed to view the content.
So don't put confidential information in the filename.

7-zip is a free compression utility with support for the ZIP format and AES encryption.

The advantage of using the ZIP format is that it is widely used, and that the users of your CD might already have an application that supports encrypted ZIP (like WinZIP).

The remaining problem is key management: how to you get the encryption key securely to your users, and changing keys.

Didier

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:42 AM

A simple solution would be to password protect the documents (say a Word doc) and mail the clients their password.

OR

Try using a program like this one.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:01 AM

Hi

Thanks for the responses!

I went for the zip and encrypt option, works absolutely fine, thanks again. :thumbsup:

Geoff
Geoff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users