Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk seems to fail

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 haken_zell

haken_zell

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:56 AM

last night i've tried to open my laptop and suddenly it took long time to load and gave me an error "cannot detect OS installed".. i go to bios and it didnt detect my hard disk and dvd rom drive.. ive tried to disassemble my laptop and remove and reconnect everything but didnt get any luck.. when i tried to remove the hard disk and connect it to another laptop via USB to IDE cable, windows found new hardware install it, but it says a problem occured while installing hardware and it might not work properly...

is there any way to recover my files on my hard disk? :thumbsup:

and one thing i've noticed, when i press F1 during the boot, it gave me an error "video and bios are shadowed" not exactly but something like that.. :flowers:

thanks and good day.. :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:28 AM

I am assuming it is hardware failure. Also download Hiren's Boot CD, then run Mini Windows XP. When you are in plug in a external harddrive then copy all your personal files. Also what is your laptop model?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:40 AM

thanks for replying, :thumbsup:

what hardware do you mean? is it possible that it is the motherboard or just the hard disk?

btw, my laptop is acer aspire 3610..

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:03 AM

Well if you think it is the harddrive, you gonna have to confirm it by downloading diagnostic tool.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

thanks.. :flowers:

i cant use a diagnostic tool because it cant detect the hard drive.. and when i use it on another laptop it says problem installing new hard and it might not work properly.. my hard disk is still working somehow, and it doesnt have a ticking sound like defective hard drives have.. and i cant use a snapshot using Speccy because my laptop doesnt boot, and i dont want to buy a new hard drive without making sure that its the real problem..

my laptop is acer aspire 3610, with celeron 1.50 ghz processor, 128 video memory and 1.5 ddr.. windows xp home edition OS..

any other ideas? :thumbsup:

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

my hard disk is still working somehow, ??
what makes you say that ,if the diagnostic tool doesn't see it then it not working,or at least not connected correctly [my guess is it not working ] and not all harddrives die the same death ,some go quietly,with out making a sound

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

because when i try to connect it to another laptop via USB to IDE cable, windows detects it and try to install.. but error occurs that it might not work properly..

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:23 AM

because when i try to connect it to another laptop via USB to IDE cable, windows detects it and try to install.. but error occurs that it might not work properly..

did you try running the diagnostic tool while it in the other computer ,you need to have it on a bootable cd to do so

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:26 AM

That has nothing to do with your hard drive. The USB adapter itself is installing, not the hard drive.

The hard drive is dead.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

Okay, I read through this thread and want to offer some assistance here.

Laptops have can have issues like any other computer when it comes to hard drives.

A perfectly functioning hard drive can stop working or stop being recognized by the computer because of a faulty connection between the hard drive connector and the motherboard connector.

It happens because the connections are basically made by pressing two un-like metals together to create a circuit.

Unlike the old days of non solid-state electronics, where all wires where wire-wrapped and then soldered, or just soldered together, todays modular electronics are just plugs pressed against another piece of metal.

This to me was a dumb idea, who ever thought this way of doing things is better, must have had too many martinis for lunch!

The major problem with this modular set up is this.

Being that the air around us has a chemical called H2O, which is the chemical equivalent of WATER, this water vapor gets on the metal contacts which basically have an air gap some where, this and also the chemical reaction of two un-like metals being joined together by way of pressure, allows a condition called oxidation to take place.

Copper connections as well as silver and other metal alloys allow corrosion to happen to the contacts, because the two metals react differently to this chemical break-down, a layer of film develops between those contacts, to which breaks the connection between the two metals. Resulting in a faulty connection.

I usually do not rant about Scientific theory in my posts, but I think it needs to be explained here occasionally so members understand that computers, which have mostly all modular connections, suffer from this problem and it is often over-looked as a possibility when hardware fails.

The problem can be resolved, simply by disturbing this layer, which in some cases looks like white powder on the connectors.

If you were to separate those two metals away from each other, this powder will be disturbed and the connection can once again make full contact with the other metal.

If lets say, a connection made of copper was no longer shiny, like that of an old dis-colored one cent coin, the connection would be faulty, that old one cent coin has a layer of oxidation on it and that layer acts as an insulator, try for example to pass a current through the coin as it is, it won't pass as expected, because resistance has built up, the resistance is the oxidation layer on the coin.

So, before assuming a dead hard drive, lets try un-plugging and re-plugging the devices connections, inspect the connections for dis-coloration or oxidation first.

Following this recommendation, may save you the loss of a perfectly functioning piece of hardware, which was faulty only because a connection was bad.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 October 2010 - 12:57 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

That has nothing to do with your hard drive. The USB adapter itself is installing, not the hard drive.

The hard drive is dead.

thanks for reply, but i think its not the USB adapter.. because when try to connect the USB adapter alone, the "installing hardware" notification did not show up..

#12 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:14 PM

did you try running the diagnostic tool while it in the other computer ,you need to have it on a bootable cd to do so

no i havent.. you mean i have to boot on a diagnostic tool? where can i download that? thank you :thumbsup:

#13 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

thank you MrBruce, i will try to clean it up with a contact cleaner.. :thumbsup:

#14 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:04 AM

no i havent.. you mean i have to boot on a diagnostic tool? where can i download that? thank you :thumbsup:

you need to know the make of the harddrive ,you need to download the ISO file and burn it to disk .most are listed here i think .
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users