Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google redirect, IE malfunction, other assorted symptoms

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimmyk1

jimmyk1

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

A couple of weeks ago my Lenovo laptop (running XP) started showing signs of malware. (I erroneously posted this to "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs" a week ago, and when I got no reply I realized I should have posted here first.) Here are my sympoms:

1. IE 8 will open up some other window, sometimes a page trying to sell something or with a "survey", more often it gets stuck on a blank page. Sometimes Ad-Aware will pop up saying it blocked a site. Often IE will just freeze.

2. Google searches redirect.

3. I get a "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close" message shortly after booting up the system.

4. At some point my audio stops working, and if I go to "Sounds and Audio Devices" it says "No audio device", and if I click on the sound icon on the taskbar I get "There are no active mixer devices available."

All this began happening right around the same time. I have run AVG, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, etc. Some of them initially detected a few threats, but this had no real affect on the problems I've described. I would appreciate some help. I am new to this site, so while I try to follow the instructions for posting, if I've breached some protocol I apologize. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jimmyk1

jimmyk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

Ok, I did just get a reply at the "Malware Removal Logs" forum, so please disregard this topic and check over there if you are interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users