Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Screen Froze Up. Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SylarZero

SylarZero

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:34 PM

Okay... so my computer froze up this evening, nearly giving me a heart attack, because the last time this happened I had to replace my motherboard. Luckily everything seems to be in working order right now. I might have had too many things open, but I'm not sure if that was it or not.

I've done a virus scan, and nothing came up. So that's not it at least. There was no blue screen of death when it happened. I'm just hoping to avoid it happening again... Does anyone know what could have caused this? Is there anyway to be sure?

ETA: I think it's firefox. Now I can't get firefox to start or anything... It crashed again.

Edited by SylarZero, 11 October 2010 - 11:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:34 PM

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key Posted Image, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

===========================================================

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 SylarZero

SylarZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

Processor: Intel Premium Dual CPU E2220 2.4 GHZ
Used Space: 69.2 GB
Free Space: 385 GB
No programs currently in use other than Windows Defender. I have malwarebytes.

My current speedfan:
Posted Image

Looks like this after a couple of minutes though:
Posted Image

Edited by SylarZero, 12 October 2010 - 03:21 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:34 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Your CPU is running hot!
Overheating is the reason for your freezes.
Max temp for your processor is listed at 73.3C (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_Dual-Core/Intel-Pentium%20Dual-Core%20E2220%20HH80557PG0561M%20%28BX80557E2220%20-%20BXC80557E2220%29.html), so an idle 68/69C is getting dangerously close.
You open couple of demanding programs and CPU is above melting level.

Get a can of compressed air, open the case and clean it well inside.
With the case open, turn the computer on and see, if all fans are running.

Edited by Broni, 12 October 2010 - 06:47 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 SylarZero

SylarZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

Alright, I've dusted the fans, and haven't had the problem since thankfully. But a few questions-

If the CPU overheated, would it cause my computer to crash multiple times even in safe mode after a short rest? I'm guessing it wouldn't cool off fast enough. But after a good rest, everything worked fine (though I did another malware scan, and did run chkdsk, and ran various tests to make sure everything was okay).

#7 gabrielman

gabrielman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

ETA: I think it's firefox. Now I can't get firefox to start or anything... It crashed again.

Not sure if I am helping any, but is Fire Fox still not working? My wife and I had a lot of problems a few days back, and it was because of one of our tool bars. If you have said tool bar, you should uninstall it. It is the Causes Tool Bar. Try running Fire Fox in safe mode, with no add-ons or anything like that.

Sorry to butt in, lol that caught my eye!

#8 SylarZero

SylarZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

I got firefox working again, THANKFULLY. I had to do a system restore, uninstall firefox, download version 3.5, then downgrade to 2.0 (I love 2.0 too much lol)

#9 gabrielman

gabrielman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

I got firefox working again, THANKFULLY. I had to do a system restore, uninstall firefox, download version 3.5, then downgrade to 2.0 (I love 2.0 too much lol)

Okay, lol that is good! I have not used 2.0 that long, I got the newer ones, always as they come out. Then again that may be my issue with the tool bars every now and then, lol!

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:53 PM

Good news :huh:

If the CPU overheated, would it cause my computer to crash multiple times even in safe mode after a short rest?

Yes. CPU heats up in a matter of seconds.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 SylarZero

SylarZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:29 PM

Once it overheats, does it overheat quicker/easier if you don't give it like.. an hour rest to cool down?

Let's say for instance... it crashed due to overheat. Then I restarted. 30 minutes later, it did it again. Then like... 15 minutes later again. Then I went into safe mode, and yet again it did it. After that I quit. Didn't retry again until MUCH later. Around 10 hours later to be exact. And after that it was fine.

With the heat monitor I've gotten, I've seen it up there pretty high when running a stress test. Like 83C. But it was only there for a moment. It quickly cooled down (and sometimes I wonder, because now and then it'll say it's -41 degrees).

I'm just worried it's other hardware problems. I had some earlier this year, and am very paranoid about them.

It did seem to do it when the computer had a lot going on. Like malware scan. Getting an Instant message... etc.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

As I said, time doesn't matter.
When you push power button, couple of seconds later, your CPU is at its operating temperature.
Then, you have some other factors, like what you're using on your computer at the moment.
When the computer is really dirty inside, the fans will work slower, faster, faster, slower and so on, which will result in temps jumping back and forth.

Did you use compressed air to clean inside?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 SylarZero

SylarZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

Hmm... then I'm not sure that overheating was causing the problems.

Even before I used compressed air to clean the fan, the next morning I had been able to use the same programs I had used when it had been freezing on me.

I know it can heat up in seconds. But can it being hot already, make it heat up quicker?

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:29 AM

You won't notice any difference.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:33 AM

Can you open up the case up and take a few pictures of your case, I want to see how much air flow you have through your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users