Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VKing1

VKing1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

Can anybody tell my why by inserting a disc into the dvd would force shut the computer. It only happens to executable discs i.e. games, bootdisk etc but not music CD's.
It had never happened before though until after I used a Linux Puppy bootable disc ( I used it for experimenting).

Has anybody encountered this before,and how can I fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for any input!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

What do you mean by "force shut"?

#3 VKing1

VKing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hi Gabrial,

What I mean by that is the computer shuts down itself as though I press the on/off button. As a matter of fact after the computer shuts down, I have to unplug and then replug it, the computer will then reboot itself.

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

Is this a desktop or laptop unit? That you have to unplug the power could indicate a hardware failure. Do all the programs close properly or does it just shut off?

#5 VKing1

VKing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

It's a desktop unit.
I believe it's not shut properly. To simplify what i'm trying to say, i'll list the sequency of events as follows:

1. Switch on the machine, no problem whatsoever.
2. Once a dics is inserted in the DVD drive, the computer shuts down. A yellow light comes on where the standby light normally lit when put in standby mode.
3. However, I cannot turn the computer on or off with the on/off switch when under such condition
4. I have to unplug the mains and replug again to boot up ( Please note though, I don't have to phsically use the on/off switch to do so;bootup process start automatically when the main plug is inserted)
5. At startup, the computer asks me to choose an option to boot (that's why I believe it's not properly shut).

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

When the system is powered off abruptly...it's normal for XP on next boot to present various boot options.

It recognizes that there is a problem and offers the alternatives to try to help you to troubleshoot/overcome...what is wrong.

Louis

System manufacturer and model?

Edited by hamluis, 18 October 2010 - 05:25 AM.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

I had a brand new liteon drive that would trip a powersupply or burn it up, there could be a short in the drive.

Would you try another drive?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 VKing1

VKing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hi hamluis, the make of the Drive is : Pioneer DVR-116BK 20x20 DVD/CD Writer ATAPI

And Dachew, I doubt it's the fault of the driver itself as it performs perfectly with music CDs; only bootdiscs and the like create such problem.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users