Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Building New Computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMac

ChrisMac

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:18 AM

I am building a new computer. I double checked all of the cables and everything seems to be installed correctly. When I boot the computer everything loads fine until it is time to load windows. I then get a message that says to reboot unless you have seen this error message before. It said that the drive in the computer needs to be checked for a virus or to run chkdsk. I am using a ASUS P5GDC Deluxe motherboard and I am using the hard drive that that I have registered. I used another Hard Drive and it gives me the same message. I tried to use the new drive in my old computer and it would read it and install it but it would not show up under my computer. The other drive I used did show up but when installed in the new computer I got the same message. Windows gives me the following as the error log message:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF7C8263C, 0XC00000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
I have built a few computers before and I have never had this problem. I have no idea what that is, but I hope it helps.

Thanks Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:26 AM

Probably a driver that is corrupt.

You can start by updating your BIOS. If that doesn't help, a repair install of Windows is in order.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:02 AM

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article, or see Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit, p. 1555.)
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

* After You Remove or Reinstall Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum Edition {KB 811408} Win XP
* Stop 0x7B or 0x4,0,0,0 Error {KB 122926} Win NT, Win XP (on restart)
* During setup (Sysprep issue) {KB 303786} Win XP
* When You Press F6 to Load Drivers During Unattended Win XP Setup {KB 307099} Win XP
* When you restart your Win XP-based computer {KB 316401} Win XP (after replacing motherboard)
* When you start your computer from a WinPE CD-ROM or from a Server 2003 CD-ROM using a USB CD-ROM device {KB 839210} Win XP, Win Server 2003 (patch available)
* Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Win XP & Server 2003 setup {KB 314859} Win XP, Win Server 2003

Your mobo has SATA onboard - are you using a SATA drive, and did you install the SATA drivers by pressing F6 at the beginning of the Windows installation?

Have you installed all the drivers that came with the motherboard? Have you tried any updated motherboard drivers from the Asus site?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ChrisMac

ChrisMac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:51 PM

I think I found out what is going on. I you check out the specks on the mobo there are tons of places for SATA and two for RAID. There is actually only one port for IDE. The problem is where is the port for the DVD/DVD RW? Not there! I guess what I am going to have to do is switch the IDE HD out and get a SATA. Not that its a bad thing, but I am wondering if that will work. When I sitched the cables and jumpers around trying to find the problem, I acutally did not get the error when I had the cd cable attached to the ide port on the mobo. Only problem was that when I hooked the IDE to the RAID port it would not find the HD of course. So, I am wondering if I could just use a SATA HD, and use the IDE for the DVD/DVD RW? What do you think? Here is my board on Newegg. ASUS P5GDC Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131519

Who Knows? If that don't work I am going to just return the mobo and get another one. The guy I am building for wanted a PCI Express 16. I put in the search and came up with the ASUS. I have built a few with ASUS and find them real easy to work with but this one has really got me running around.

Thanks Chris

#5 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:17 PM

Dear Chris,

You bought a great mother board only its for extreme speed. The board is for those of us who use RAID 0,1 and yes you can use the IDE port for the CD/DVD drives. Thats why it's there.

I would ask the the buyer if he wanted RAID 0 or RAID 1. RAID 0 is with two identical drives that place files on both drives at the same time. Which makes it that much faster to retrieve but if one drive goes down you're sucking.

RAID 1 is four identical drives that do much the same but mirror the first two drives for safety. Waste I say. I bought two 200GB Western Digital SATA drives and figured them into RAID 0.

I have the need, the need for speed! I can play any game out in high graphics no problem! I also have a ASUS mother board and you need to read the manual intently if you wish to pursue this.

I mean it! I hate to say read the manual but it is important this time. I downloaded all kinds of literature in detail of setting up a RAID. I even emailed Western Digital for help.

I will help let me know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#6 ChrisMac

ChrisMac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

So I guess the thing to do is to buy two identical drives, lets say SATA 150 100 gigs and then set them at RAID0. I have not really done this before. I am used to installing IDE the old way I guess. I read the manual acutally and thats when I encountered the problem and put the IDE on the RAID Port. What else would you suggest I read to get me up to speed?? Ya'll Rock....

Chris

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:28 PM

Take a look at this article for the 975 chipset:
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20051114/index.html

If you're looking for gaming, try the nForce4 chipset also.

SATA and IDE coexist easily - I can't vouch for RAID, but I'd expect it to be the same. I only use Asus boards (I've had some problems with Gigabyte, Abit and Tyan in the past). I have heard of problems with the P5 series Asus boards tho' - you might google the model number to see if there's any problems with your model.

RAID 0 doesn't have any fault tolerance (if one drive goes - the whole system is gone).

Edited by usasma, 17 November 2005 - 09:29 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 03:33 AM

Dear Chris,

Hard drives are much more advanced then any component in the computer. As a matter of fact, hard drive manufacturers are waiting for CPU's to come up to there speed.

With that in mind, a SATA RAID 0 is the fastest connection (financially) for your hard drives. I have, again, no problem playing any game on the market at high to better graphics with no hickups! I don't have to overclock at all and if I needed too ASUS AI booster or Smart Doctor will do it for me.

Here is my setup:

Case: Sunbeam Transformer- 120mm fan front and rear, two side intake 80mm and one top 80mm outtake.

Power Supply: Antec 550 watt-one 80mm bottom intake and one rear 80mm outtake.

Mother board: ASUS PC4E deluxe or something like that

Video Card: ASUS AX-800PRO/TVD 256mb...was stupid expensive when I bought it.

CPU: Intel P4 3.2 GHZ HT

Ram: Corsair (2) 1 GB XMS 3200 sticks

Hard drives: (2) Western Digital SATA 200GB figured RAID 0

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Fan Control: CPU has ThermalRight X-90 copper heat sink and Vantec Tornado at 5 volt with option, ThermalRight chipset fan, Vantec fan card, and Panflo 80mm fan over harddrives.

At this time I am at 38 C.

Take the time to research RAID, believe me there is no easy way. Otherwise I would tell you.

Good Luck,

junkdk

:thumbsup:

Edited by junkdk, 19 November 2005 - 03:35 AM.

Your Hardware Guide.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:23 PM

Are you using an OEM version of XP?

Are the boot drive and the CD/DVD the only drives attached?

Louis

Disregard, I didn't read all the posts (smile).

Edited by hamluis, 20 November 2005 - 03:25 PM.

#10 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:54 AM

For the Record.

I have pirated software back in the old days. It was fun and entertaining until all the blue screen errors. Nothing seemed to work right but it worked! Oh Yeah! Free Stuff!

Now I run all certified stuff and have no problems. Yes it's expensive and rediculous but I can throw that back at them in return. If my system programing does not work, I get mad, then I pressure my manufactuers to return. The only one that has not redeemed is Microsoft.

Yes they have faq's until you die but who has the time to research. With the money they have, you would think Microsoft would engineer an AI system to handle all of our questions. Hell an AI system to handle many things.

So Bill, have you cured cancer?

Sorry.

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#11 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:27 AM

Pretty sure that board supports RAID 0+1, which gives you striping *and* redundancy. Best of both worlds, and yes, RAID is always predicated upon having identical hard drives. Two drives of the same unformatted capacity from different manufacturers doesn't cut it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users