Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Rights Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OMK

OMK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

Hi

I have lost control on all my administrator rights for windows xp installed on my main server of shop. whenever i try to open regedit it gives me error that this feature has been restricted by the administrator, contact your administrator". Moreover i cant access control panel, i cannot open, install any application/software, cant even remove them. Last thing i remember before having this issue was that i open local security policy and enable the internet as it is main system of my shop so i disabled the internet facility using local security policy. I tried to use the System Restore but it gives the same message/error. After that moment i am still unable to access any thing except internet which is causing me too much trouble and i dont want to reinstall the OS.

Therefore i would highly appreciate if someone can help me out here with any advice.

Edited by hamluis, 11 October 2010 - 05:07 PM.
Split from different topic ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

Well...you may be infected...you could have a bad hard drive...and so on.

What led up to this?

Running XP on a server?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

Indeed, you likely have or had a malware infection if you didn't set these group policies yourself. You can execute the attatched batch file from an administrator account to reenable access to your Registry, Command Prompt, System Restore, and Task Manager through group policy settings.

Also, before making changes to your registry, you should back up your registry in case something goes wrong. A good program to back up your registry is Erunt.

Attached Files

Edited by Gabrial, 12 October 2010 - 02:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users