Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Locked Me Out

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lilred944

lilred944

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:43 AM

My computer gave me the following message and I was wondering what would cause it to do that. It is password protected and wondered if it would do that after too many attempts at my password.
Thanks.
"this computer is locked. only an
administrator may unlock it" now all that's on the screen
is the background and the cursor and i still can't do
anything. help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:15 AM

Welcome to BC.
Is this your computer? Are you the administrator? Ctrl+Alt+Del should bring up admin log on screen. If you are the Admiin just enter your password.

Edited by acklan, 17 November 2005 - 02:19 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 lilred944

lilred944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:35 PM

[Yes I am the owner and admin of the computer. It was totally locked up and I tried ctrl alt dlt but it wouldn't do anything. I could move my mouse but it wouldn't let me click on anything. I finally hit the reset button. I guess I am really just curious what would make it do that so I can avoid it in the future. Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:41 PM

[Yes I am the owner and admin of the computer. It was totally locked up and I tried ctrl alt dlt but it wouldn't do anything. I could move my mouse but it wouldn't let me click on anything. I finally hit the reset button. I guess I am really just curious what would make it do that so I can avoid it in the future. Thank you.

Possible cause: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242917.

Louis

#5 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:34 PM

Mainly that message appears if the computer is coming out of hibernation. Often it will say that the computer is locked and can only be unlocked by john (or whatever the user name is) or an administrator.

Are you using the administrator account as your regular log on? If so and the computer froze up coming out of hibernation it might account for the message and not being able to log on. It is not uncommon to have a little glitch coming out of hibernation.

If you have hibernation enabled, you might want to try not using it. If so, right click on desktop, click on properties. Select screen saver tab and then power. See what setting you have for hibernate and if it is enabled change to never.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users