Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

asus board of death, Please help me!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cmoccero

cmoccero

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

I found a computer a while back with a asus a7v600-x board in it, and when i turn it on with my hard drive i put in it it gives me a bios rom checksum error. I heard reflashing the bios could save me here, so i went to the asus site and downloaded the latest bios for it. Im just wondering how do i reflash it, i have never done this before. And what will i need for this process? i believe it has an amd sempron 2200 in it, any tips and link would be greatly appreciated.
I G0tS pRoBleM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

Try changing the battery:

How do I change the CMOS Battery?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

I found a computer a while back with a asus a7v600-x board in it, and when i turn it on with my hard drive i put in it it gives me a bios rom checksum error.

Did this hdd have a Windows operating system installed on it?

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's knowledge base article. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cmoccero

cmoccero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

I changed the battery with a new one, and the computer has xp installed on the hard drive, as of what was on it before im not sure because if found it like this. I'm just trying to fix it because its fairly nice in my eye, and it has sata slots on the board =)
and i shouldnt i be able to just start it up with a reinstall disk?

Edited by cmoccero, 11 October 2010 - 06:37 PM.

I G0tS pRoBleM

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

I may have been too hasty in my first response. Did you take a hdd from another computer with a Windows operating system installed on it and install it in the computer that you are posting about?

Edited by dc3, 11 October 2010 - 08:13 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

One other thing I`m wondering.

Since you found it, was it outside. Had it been exposed to any rain? Attempting to get it to function properly may be an exercise in futility.

#7 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

Replace the battery and enter BIOS setup, then reset default settings and save the BIOS settings. The checksum error should go away. Remove power from the computer and hit the power button to drain the capacitance from the power supply, then reconnect the power and start it up. If the checksum error comes back there are other issues with the mainboard and the cmos battery to deal with.

#8 cmoccero

cmoccero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:55 AM

the computer had only been sitting out for an hour in the sun, and yes i did swap a windows drive in it because it had nothing.
I G0tS pRoBleM

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:01 AM

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's knowledge base article. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users