Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 legit download

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marty0603

Marty0603

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

I need some help?!
I recently bought a Toshiba laptop for home use (running Windows 7) but unfortunately some water was spilt over the keyboard and its fried the mother board rendering it pretty much dead. I also have a Dell which I bought for work (which is running Windows Vista) but it too has a problem now. My hard drive isn't working. Both laptops have pre-installed operating systems. So what I have done is take the hard drive out of the Toshiba and put it in the Dell, so my Dell is now running Windows 7 set up for a Toshiba.
So, what I want to know is, can I download a new copy of my OS so I can reinstall it and set it up for my dell? If this is possible, where do I download it from?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

No it is not possible. You must use Windows 7 on your Toshiba as that is part of the license agreement. I would call up Toshiba and explain to them the situation or take it back to the store.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

To further explain what cryptodan has said. The OS is whats known as OEM. Meaning that the OS is 'wedded' to the motherboard and other hardware it is installed with. It is not a retail copy which can be transferred to another machine as long as it is uninstalled on the old one.

More info here: An Explanation of OEM, Upgrade, Academic, And Full Versions of software

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

If you have voided the warranty on the toshiba then you could wipe the hard drive and reinstall vista on it, call dell for the reinstall cd's
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users