Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultimate Boot CD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

Hello,

I have been fortunate to date that the periodic infections on our five desktop and 3 laptop family computers have been able to be cleaned up using just Rkill, SAS and MBAM. Someday, however, one of kids' computers might get trashed badly enough that they might need more serious efforts to fix.

That's why I'm asking for more info about what I've seen described as the Ultimate Boot CD, in case I might need tom use it in the future. Here are my questions:

1. In searching these forums and the Internet, I discovered there are actually two different programs, Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) and Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4Win). What exactly is the difference between the two of these software compilations, and when would each be most appropriate to use.

2. One of our family computers uses Windows XP Pro, four of them use Windows XP, and three use Windows 7. Would UBCD and/or UBCD4Win work on all of these versions of Windows?

3. I've downloaded an ISO of UBCD version 5.0.3. Is this the latest version, and is all I have to do is copy the ISO file onto a CD to make it bootable, or is there more to the technical process?

4. I was also able to download a version 3.60 executable file for UBCD4Win. Is this the latest version, do I simply run the exe file to self-unzip the iso version, and then simply copy the iso to a blank CD to be bootable?

Thanks in advance for your advice and guidance.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

I think if you read through this FAQ it will probably answer your questions:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm

Post back if something is not clear.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, and for pointing me to that FAQ page. (Somehow I missed that in my earlier web search) It has excellently answered most of my questions.

Based on the FAQ info I saw, it appears the older UBCD iso file will be of less value to me because of its lesser functionality, plus I'm not sure its DOS based orientation will work on the newest of our XP computers, since their motherboards no longer support DOS.

1. Also, it looks like I will need to create two separate UBCD4Win compilations, one for my Win XP Pro machine and the second for our other Win XP Home computers. Am I interpreting this correctly?

2. Also, although all of our Win XP machines are currently using Service Pack 3, only my Win XP Pro CD comes with SP3 pre-installed (all the Win XP Home CDs have just SP2). Will that be okay for building the Win XP Home compilation, or have I again accidentally missed something?

Thanks.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

plus I'm not sure its DOS based orientation will work on the newest of our XP computers, since their motherboards no longer support DOS.

It should work on newer computers without a problem.

Also, it looks like I will need to create two separate UBCD4Win compilations, one for my Win XP Pro machine and the second for our other Win XP Home computers. Am I interpreting this correctly?

You only need to create one UBCD4Win CD and it should work on either computer.

Also, although all of our Win XP machines are currently using Service Pack 3, only my Win XP Pro CD comes with SP3 pre-installed (all the Win XP Home CDs have just SP2). Will that be okay for building the Win XP Home compilation, or have I again accidentally missed something?

You can use any XP Home or Pro CD as long as it is SP1 or higher.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users