Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot believe this......

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 p_rod

p_rod

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

Good morning, everyone.

After more years on PC's than I'd like to admit to, I have become infected and have come here for help. I was told to come to this site to obtain rkill.com/exe etc to stop the rogue process, but I cannot seem to find it here anywhere. Has it been removed? I have also d/loaded MalwareBytes (both proggies recommended by a very knowledgeable friend). I am using an iMac now to get these programs and then placing them onto a thumb drive for transfer to the infected PC. Can someone steer me to where rkill is so I can remove the infection from my wife's laptop? Thanks in advance for any help you can lend me.

I have spent a couple of hours here to get a handle on how to remove this infection (a black box with "Your system is infected! System has been stopped due to a serious malfunction. It is recommended to use spyware removal.blah, blah, blah). I have learned a lot here so far and there are tons of helpful posters here to help us through our problems. I just cannot locate the program I need to get started.

Again, with hat in hand, I need some help. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 p_rod

p_rod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

I am quite embarrassed.... I just found the rkill proggie in my download box.... I guess it was so small my regular pop up window that tells me I am downloading something didn't have time to open! Geez...... :thumbsup:

But I will start the process now and will certainly give y'all an update as soon as I can get this infection removed. BTW--it is the Anti-Virus 2010 infection.

Pat

Edited by p_rod, 11 October 2010 - 12:20 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

How to remove Antivirus 2010

RKill is available in various forms:rkill.com
rkill.scr
rkill.exe
Renamed versions if the above do not work:iExplore.exe
eXplorer.exe
uSeRiNiT.exe
WiNlOgOn.exe
If one of them does not work, then try downloading and running another copy.

-- You may have to make repeated attempts to use Rkill several times before it will run as some malware variants try to block it.

-- If you get an alert that Rkill is infected, ignore it. The alert is a fake warning given by the rogue software which attempts to terminate tools that try to remove it. If you see such a warning, leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this sometimes allows you to bypass the malware's attempt to protect itself so that Rkill can perform its routine.

Edited by quietman7, 11 October 2010 - 12:34 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 p_rod

p_rod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

Thank you, quietman7. This virus is a tough one but I'll keep going at it. I'll let you know how it goes...it'll be day or two until I can resume the virus kill, but I do appreciate your input.

Pat

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Not a problem.

Just post back if you encounter any problems.

#6 p_rod

p_rod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Quietman7:

After another couple of days of numerous attempts to try to get rid of this virus, I am about ready to give up. The rkill proggie seems to work, then when I transfer the MalwareBytes proggie (renamed), and try to start it, I get a 'warning' that I do not possess the authorization to run that program.

I did talk to a professional IT fellow about all of this and his recommendation was this. He can come to the house and for a small fee, $40.00, he can remove the virus but he cannot guarantee it will stay 'removed'. IOW, he likes to guarantee his work but with this virus he cannot do that and doesn't want anyone to be unhappy with his services. He pretty much recommended just ditching the machine (it is 5 years old and quite a dinosaur compared to what's out there now). I wasn't wanting to buy another machine at this time but I am considering it. Thankfully the Mac I am writing this to you on doesn't have these same kind of issues :-)

He also recommended removing any files from the machine I need (a couple hundred pictures and a handful of .docs), place them on a CD, NOT another HD, and have them scanned fully. He doesn't trust any type of doc or file coming off a machine with this infection.

I still need a PC around the house but was hoping I could get this one back in running order since it is only used primarily for email and surfing..it isn't really a 'work' machine anymore.

I'll keep nosing around this great site to see if I can find any other info I may be missing or techniques I may have missed or not found yet...but man, this little virus, so far, is kicking my behind. ;-(

Thank you for your previous input on this...I'll keep trying but my energy for it is slowly ebbing away.

Pat

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

There are no guarantees or shortcuts when it comes to malware removal, especially when dealing with backdoor Trojans, Botnets, IRCBots or rootkit components that can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install.

Some infections are difficult to remove completely because of their morphing characteristics which allows the malware to regenerate itself. Sometimes there is hidden piece of malware (rootkit) which has not been detected that protects malicious files and registry keys so they cannot be permanently deleted. Other types of malware can even terminate your security tools by changing the permissions on targeted programs so that they cannot run or complete scans. Infections will vary and some will cause more harm to your system then others as backdoor Trojans not only compromise your system, they have the ability to download more malicious files. Thus, it may take several efforts with different, the same or more powerful tools to do the job. Even then, with some types of malware infections, the task can be arduous.

In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be successfully cleaned, repaired or trusted. Security vendors that claim to be able to remove rootkits and backdoor Trojans cannot guarantee that all traces will be removed as their tools may not find all the remnants. Further, if something goes awry during the malware removal process there is always a risk the computer may become unstable or unbootable and you could loose access to your data.

Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with such malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

Whenever a system has been compromised by a backdoor payload, it is impossible to know if or how much the backdoor has been used to affect your system...There are only a few ways to return a compromised system to a confident security configuration. These include:
• Reimaging the system
• Restoring the entire system using a full system backup from before the backdoor infection
• Reformatting and reinstalling the system

Backdoors and What They Mean to You

This is what Jesper M. Johansson at Microsoft TechNet has to say: Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?.

The only way to clean a compromised system is to flatten and rebuild. That’s right. If you have a system that has been completely compromised, the only thing you can do is to flatten the system (reformat the system disk) and rebuild it from scratch (reinstall Windows and your applications).

Caution: If you are considering reformatting and a clean install or doing a factory restore with a Recovery Disk/Recovery Partition due to malware infection, you can back up all your important documents, personal data files, photos to a CD or DVD drive, not a flash drive or external hard drive as they may become compromised in the process. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), dynamic link library (*.dll), autorun (.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executables inside them as some types of malware can penetrate compressed files and infect the .exe files within them. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by hiding a file extension or adding to the existing extension as shown here (click Figure 1 to enlarge) so be sure you look closely at the full file name. If you cannot see the file extension, you may need to reconfigure Windows to show file name extensions. Then make sure you scan the backed up data with your anti-virus prior to to copying it back to your hard drive.

If your CD/DVD drive is unusable, another word of caution if you are considering backing up to an external usb hard drive as your only alternative. External drives are more susceptible to infection and can become compromised in the process of backing up data. I'm not saying you should not try using such devices but I want to make you aware of all your options and associated risks so you can make an informed decision if its worth that risk.Again, do not back up any files with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .dll, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful so you should still backup your important data right away. If you wish to proceed, please do the following.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 7 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the Malware Response Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the Malware Response Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Edited by quietman7, 17 October 2010 - 03:14 PM.

#8 p_rod

p_rod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

Quietman7....

Again, my thanks to you....your last post was an eye-opener....but I do feel a lot better about what the IT fellow told me.... and he has also suggested a complete re-format (from a boot disk, not from Windows) and re-install. I believe that is what I'll attempt to do before 'donating' this little dinosaur to the nearest recycler! :flowers:

I do now know how the infection came about and I guess that's what hacks me off the most.....having been online now for decades, this is my first infection and I am proud of that, but man, when I did get one I got a biggie! :trumpet:

I do believe I have a bootable disc around here somewhere and I'll go that route.... and thankfully there isn't a lot of software that will have to be re-installed...this machine was fairly clean to begin with and I tried to keep it that way.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction and your last post was extremely helpful!!! :thumbsup: I tip my hat to you!!!!

Pat

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

You're welcome.

I do now know how the infection came about and I guess that's what hacks me off the most

Please read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected which explains the most common ways malware is contracted and spread.

If you're not sure how to reformat or need help with reformatting, please review:These links include specific step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Vista users can refer to these instructions:Windows 7 users can refer to these instructions:Don't forget you will have to go to Microsoft Update and apply all Windows security patches after reformatting.

If you need additional assistance with reformatting or partitioning, you can start a new topic in the Operating Systems Subforums forum.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users