Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Technical Difficulties...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:56 PM

Is it possible to lower the graphics options so low that the vid card cannot play it? I think I have found out the answer to that...

While playing a skirmish (I love 4 vs 4 with all comps on brutal/hard), my FPS rate just plundered. I couldn't move around the map without waiting about 5 seconds for the computer to respond. Let alone trying to build or attack something. I was trying all kinds of things to get the FPS rate higher. I disabled FAST WRITES, turned down the settings in the TROUBLESHOOT menu, turned off every option available in the game. Nothing seemed to work. But, here's the answer to the question above mentioned, when I turned off the 3D shawdows, the whole game just crashed. A window popped up saying that there was some technical difficulties. Either due to viruses (not likely, thank you HJT team), an overheating component (possible), or my computer does not meet the minimum required specs (what are they smoking?).

I am so frustrated that I can just throw the CDs out the window of a moving car going down the highway. Why is this happening? I wish I knew, but with your help I can get to the bottom of this.

My Specs:
A tuned down P4 2.53ghz CPU (Dell)
1GB PC2700 RAM
MSI nVidia Geforce FX5600XT 128MB AGP 4x
Plus, I think, as Mr Alpha stated, my PSU cannot handle the sucking of the power through the 12V line.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:13 AM

it might just be cause there are 8 players on the game well 1 plus 7 computers, when they all wanna move it can slow the comp down. ive found on my laptop its happened too.

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2005 - 08:45 PM

Yeah... about that... I found that out the hard way. Now, I just laugh. I can't believe I was so dumb to overlook that. Anyways, I think I should calm down with the 4 vs 4 skirmishes.

Also, I'm getting a 550-watt PSU with a 20 amp 12V line. I should be able to expect some performance increase (and an increase in my electric bill :thumbsup:).

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:58 AM

Don't worry about the electrical bill. :thumbsup: If your computer is even somewhat running with 250W it isn't going to be a big difference in electrical consumption, especially if you've got active PFC. A computer only eats as much power as it need, so it won't be eating the full 550 all the time, only when it is under load will it spike up to something like that.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:14 PM

It's been four days since I bought the power supply off of eBay. (Don't worry, the guy guaranteed that it was new. Or my money back.) I still haven't recieved it. Do you think I should contact the guy, or wait a couple more days?

- Rick Cook

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:01 PM

Depends - how much do you like sitting around and waiting? Sure hope that you didn't give him positive feedback!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:41 AM

I got it... but I am dissappointed. I just realized that I have to hack away at my case to get the sucker to fit correctly. I.E.: The fan on the new PSU is where the power connector is currently, and vice versa.

So... I'm gonna come back from school and start the surgery on my computer. I'll tell you guys how that goes.

- Rick Cook

#8 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:30 PM

Hehehehehehehe... I have successfully transplanted the 550-watt Rhycom PSU (it comes with 2 fans, one of those glow blue!!), from where the Dell 250-watt PSU used to reside. Now, off to play games. Hi-ho Silver!!!

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users