Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible infection with spam email virus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 wolfy262

wolfy262

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

Hi guys

I believe my PC may be infected by a spam virus that is raiding my hotmail address book.

I think my stepson may have clicked on one such email from a friend and infected the computer.

The emails sent just contain a URL that leads to a site.

A sample of the website URLS being emailed to people is this one http://www.web-agency-it.com/527_1.html

Others include holiday sites, medical companies etc.

The first time I knew something was wrong was when a week ago I opened up my hotmail to find a number of bounced emails. These were to old email address that were no longer valid. They all contained a single URL of a type and style I recognised as spam having had them sent to me in the past from other people whose PC has been infected. I never open the URL and always delete the email.

I ran Norton anti-virus 2010, CC Cleaner and Spybot S&D, all of which failed to pick anything up.

Today I had the same thing - almost a week since the last raid on my hotmail address book. I got a load of bounced emails and some complaints from friends who asked why I was sending them spam. I am in the UK and turned my machine off at midnight. The emails were sent between 1am and 2am, so I am guessing that is the time of the local server they were sent from.

My PC spec is as follows:

Microsoft XP
Home edition
Version 2002
Service pack 3

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz
1gb RAM

Any help greatly appreciated

Regards

Edited by Budapest, 11 October 2010 - 04:30 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users