Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems connecting to wireless printer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

Alright, let me start by saying that I just started my first semester at college and am majoring in Networking Technology. Im halfway into the semester, so I decided I would try and setup my parents wireless printer to all 3 of our laptops, as it has been sitting collecting dust over the past few years because no one could figure it out.

Anyway, I have it all setup on my Win7 machine and am able to send success print jobs to the printer via wireless transmission. However; I am having problems getting my fathers old XP machine to connect to it. I can successfully ping the router with this machine, however, when I run through the 'add a printer wizard' and select the following: next>select 'a network printer...' from the list>next>select 'browse for printer'>next.... it does not find and list the my printer in the shared printers list, instead, it lists 'Microsoft Windows Network'. When I hit 'next', it throws an error saying that 'You need to specify a valid network printer name'.

Okay so this is where I am stuck. I am able to to ping the printer via its IP address, however, the printer setup wizard doesnt detect it.

When I set the printer up on my Win7 machine, I selected the option to share it with other devices on the network, so I do not believe security to be an issue.

Printer: Brother MFC-490CW

Computer that is experiencing the issue: HP Pavilion dv5000 (dv5222nr)

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

-Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:15 AM

Neil B.