Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to remove mailware “Antivirus 8” from computer.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 omg-did-it-again

omg-did-it-again

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

After down loading a link from my inbox in facebook- my computer became infected-w/ mailware, Antivirus 8 program was placed on my desktop. I have windows XP home edition.

Three weeks have gone bye since I began the steps below, I haven't had time to get this off my computer.

When I click on a program trying to access Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, control panel, screen shot or Microsoft Word a warning window will fly up some times it freezes my computer. If I wait a few minutes I can then click the button on the fly-up. The fly-ups say similar things like “WARNING! Activate Virus Detector!” Threat detected: Backdoor.poison.bqa.

I have submitted a screen shot of a fly-up. Each fly-up ask me to click a button “remove all” Once I click this a new window opens asking me for personal information and my credit card number (which I didn’t fill out) to activate the program so as to remove the problems.

While typing out this information using Microsoft Word Internet Explorer suddenly opened there was nothing on the page, I downsized this and it is in the task bar the address is showing AV8SCAN, just now I tried clicking on it and a Microsoft type warning window opened “Windows security has found critical process activity on your system and will perform fast scan system files.” When I pressed ok, a window popped up I couldn’t catch it since It began scanning or what looked like scanning my computer so I closed the window.

Steps I have taken: First tried to I downloaded the wrong Combofix, so I was told it, it scanned and found problems but I didn’t continue to remove since it wanted a payment. Once I contacted the person who told me about combofix, (who had fixed the same problem) he told me it was the wrong one. I’ve tried several times to access downloaded combofix file through control panel to remove, but the programs will not show up in control panel window (none of the programs will).

I disabled all internet/virus/im/every security programs as suggested by the instructions.

Screen shots: I have placed on blog...

screenshots of malware

Edited by omg-did-it-again, 11 October 2010 - 09:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users