Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Issue - Possible infection?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sjoor

sjoor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:10 AM

Hey everybody, new to the forum. I've visited before as a guest as it is very informative here but now I need some help. I'm on windows 7 64 bit.

Issue 1: For the last day or so I'm getting Bad Image error messages when trying to open a few programs that were just fine before this. The errors have d3d8.dll, D3D8.DLL (yes one is capitalized), and D3D10.DLL and the error pop up says they are not designed to run on windows or have errors and please reinstall. A reinstall did not work.

Issue 2: Something keeps trying to access "F:/autorun.inf" and my Avira stops it. The F drive is my recovery partition and in that autorun.inf file is this:

[AUTORUN]
ShellExecute=Info.exe protect.ed 480 480

Issue 3: I can no longer see any contents of zipped folders after I extract them with the built in windows extractor. Even if I know the zipped folders have something in it, once I extract it the folder is empty. However, if I use a 3rd party program and extract that same zipped folder the contents appear as they should be.

Issue 4: This is a weird one. If I go into my "Uninstall Programs" through the control panel, I am unable to uninstall anything. The option to uninstall does not come out if I double click a program like it normally would have. Also if I right click a program in the list, the menu is blank! It's just a gray little box but with nothing there.

Issue 5: windows defender no longer opens. I get the failed to initialize error. This might have been before all the other stuff above and unrelated but I'm not sure because I just noticed it today.

Issue 6: all my restore points from before have somehow been deleted now as well. Not sure how that happened and if it's related or not either

I've done a scan with Malwarebytes and it found 1 item that was called broken.opencommand (I believe?) and Super AntiSpyware found 3 items that all had to do with Rogue Advanced Antivirus 2008. I let the programs fix those for me and rebooted and all my issues are still there. Any ideas what this could be?? Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by sjoor, 11 October 2010 - 05:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sjoor

sjoor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

Follow up: I'm pretty confident that my pc is not infected by any virus/malware, etc.. Subsequent scans from a few programs like MBAM, SAS, Spybot, SOPHOS, Avira have all been clean. My pc runs smooth and nothing alarming going on except for Issue #4. I have also noticed that I cannot open any of my admin tools, like services.msc. I have tried opening them every way possible and they will not launch. All I get is an hourglass for a split second but nothing ever happens. I have a feeling that Issues 3,4,5 are all related somehow. Any ideas??

Edited by sjoor, 12 October 2010 - 09:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users