Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Silverlight will not update or uninstall

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 seandil

seandil

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:46 AM

Hi,
I searched and searched the forums, but can not find this problem.
I keep getting an update from my automatic updates concerning Microsoft Silverlight. I tried to uninstall it and it says that it can not find a file. It asks me to locate it. The file it needs is 'Silverlight.msi' I downloaded the latest version of Silverlight, version 4.0, and it will not install. I can not find just the 'Silverlight.msi' file anywhere. It gives the same error over and over.
I surfed around and downloaded a MS fix it program that did not help either, Microsoftfixit50416. I followed some instructions on another message board which told me to go into regedit and delete the KEY. I assume it was the folder HKLM/Software/ Microsoft/ Silverlight. I did. Next, it said to go to Program files on my computer and delete the Microsoft Silverlight folder, I did. I rebooted. Same errors? The update is KB2416427 for Silverlight that keeps failing and trying to update will not quit and the software will not uninstall, repair, or be re-installed.

The Silverlight update has something to do with Microsoft.NET, so I downloaded a fix utility, dotnetfx35setup from another message board and then re-installed Microsoft.NET 3.5, I was getting 4 error messages at first, now only three. The other error messages were security updates for Microsoft.NET versions 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5. I fixed the Microsoft.NET problem. It updated after I did what I just mentioned. The fix utility removed all the other versions of Microsoft.NET and I simply re-installed version 3.5. Now I do not get those failed to update messages in Microsoft automatic updates.
The Silverlight error remains and I do not know anymore to do?

Please help,

Seandil :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:42 AM

Did you delete all the backup files under the c:\Windows directory that start out with $ and are blue?

#3 seandil

seandil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hello,
NO, I did delete some folders that were empty on the C:/ directory outside of the windows folder that began with an $ and were not blue on my machine. In the windows folder I deleted the Microsoft Silverlight folder? This thing is still doing the same thing. I first I believe have to get this file it keeps asking for that I can not find. Its 'Silverlight.msi' and then I should be able to take it from there. Allot of people when I did a Google search are having this problem with Silver light trying to update and not being able to remove or re install the program. I wish i ha never heard of it. This must be a Microsoft glitch?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:08 AM

The only way to fix this issue is to perform a reformat. You should never delete anything that starts with a $ or that is a different color then anything else on the drive. I made that mistake and had to reinstall to get things back up to par.

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

Reformatting is far from the only way to fix this problem...

You could just delete the registry key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100" and MSI won't know silverlight is installed and will allow a new install with the current version of silverlight.

The attatched batch file should do the trick without as much risk as running regedit. Run this batch file and then try to reinstall Silverlight.

Warning: Backing up your registry before modifying it is always a good idea. You can back up your registry with a program like Erunt.

Attached Files

Edited by Gabrial, 12 October 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

I even did the above as you have suggested, and it still failed to install Silverlight. I had to completely reformat my computer to get Windows Update and Manual installs to work for Silverlight.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:11 PM

If the problem involves a corrupt file system or hard drive...the solution will be a format/install.

If it involves only improper functioning of the O/S...uninstalling the app and reinstalling...or a registry edit...may overcome it.

Just because users perceive it as the same problem...doesn't mean it arises for the same reasons.

Louis

#8 seandil

seandil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:40 PM

Thanks gentlemen for the response. I am not a computer person, but love to learn. I did not see the attached batch file Gabriel spoke of? would you please send it.

Thanks

#9 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

Sorry, I thought I had uploaded. I put it back again.

#10 seandil

seandil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:48 AM

Thanks Gabriel,
You are a genius! I ran the batch file you gave me and it worked! I went to remove programs and Silverlight was gone. I next tried to install what I had already downloaded on my computer and I got some error and the Silverlight install had named itself a 'patchfile'. I deleted this file and went to the Silverlight website and it gave me a complete version to download. I guess it knew what I had or did not have already on my computer? I downloaded it and the update installed along with 14 others? I did not know I was some far behind after only two days of shutting my computer down without updates since the only 'failed to install' update was that Silverlight one?

You fixed it!

Thank you sir and all the other people who tried to help.

#11 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

Glad to be of help. :D

#12 joeydriven

joeydriven

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Gabrial, 3 years after your posting the batch file link to uninstall/somehow clear Silverlight, it downloaded and I ran it and something  worked to clear the way. I was able to install the Silverlight update from Microsoft. Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Regards, Joey Driven

#13 PrecioustoHim

PrecioustoHim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

WinXP SP 3 32 BIT SYSTEM

ARE YOU HAVING TROUBLE INSTALLING....UNINSTALLING....RE-INSTALLING.MICROSOFT SILLVERLIGHT????

I HAVE THE FIX BEFORE PROCEEDING BOOKMARK THIS PAGE SO THAT WHEN YOU RESTART YOUR COMPUTER YOU CAN COME BACK HERE AGAIN. :)

I TRIED EVERY SUGGESTION OUT THERE FOR 3 WEEKS FROM NETFLIX ADVISORS AND MY COMPUTER COMPANY SUPPORT TO NO AVAIL

AFTER MUCH SEARCHING ONLINE IN THESE FORUMS AND FINDING NOTHING....I DOWNLOADED REVO-UNINSTALLER:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

YOU GET THE 30 DAY FREE TRIAL AND IT REALLY WORKS TO TOTALLY UNINSTALL SILVERLIGHT AND ALL OF THE REGISTRY FILES SO THAT YOU CAN INSTALL FRESH. WORKS LIKE YOUR SYSTEM NEVER HAD SILVERLIGHT INSTALLED BEFORE, PLUGIN TOO.

AFTER DOWNLOAD COMPLETES OPEN REVO-UNIINSTALLER FROM DESKTOP ICON.....CHOOSE MICROSOFT SILVERLIGHT FROM THE PROGRAMS PANEL..[USE THE FORCE UNINSTALL]..FOLLOW REVO UNINSTALLER  ALL THE WAY THROUGH AND CHOOSE ALL OF THE LEFTOVERS TOO [EXCEPT FOR MY COMPUTER, LEAVE THAT UNCHECKED, JUST CHECK THE SUB-BOXES].

YOU WILL NEED TO RESTART YOUR PC AND THEN DOWNLOAD FROM HERE THE 32 BIT SILVERLIGHT:

http://www.filehorse.com/download-silverlight-32/download/

CHECK YOUR NEW SILVERLIGHT HERE:

http://www.hischannel.com/BackQ/1050/1050Gallery/.php

GOOD LUCK

Edited by PrecioustoHim, 07 July 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#14 joeydriven

joeydriven

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Thank you, PreciousToHim.  I think I will be needing your advice, because Silverlight might still be unstable _though NF works most times it has been crashing.

#15 cmislivecek

cmislivecek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

Gabriel! I heart you right now. I have had 10 different people look at my computer to fix this stupid silver light issue and no one could. I created an account on this site just to run your link and it ran, i went to silver light it finally gave me the install button and installed successfully! THANK YOU TONS!

Christie M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users