Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not starting normally.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

Hello!
The last couple of days when I turn on computer it will give me a black screen telling me it can't start normally. It gives me the option to try to start again normally or in safe mode. Safe mode starts with no problem. I looked in device manager and have a yellow (!) next to: HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB911895).
When I check out properties of this item it says: Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware (code 37).

If I run disk check the computer will restart normally. Also it will restart normally if I use system restore. And with both of these the yellow (!) next to the above mentioned is gone... If I just restart from this point it will start up as it should... But as soon as I turn computer completely off and turn it back on it starts all over again with the black screen. I have checked for updated drivers (There is none) unistalled and reinstalled, but the problem remains. Any advice on how to fix this headache would be much aprreciated.
Thank you!!!..............................Dave
P.S. Other then the start up issue - once it is started everthing works fine.

Edited by hamluis, 18 October 2010 - 01:14 PM.
Merged latest post ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:32 PM

Sounds like it could be some kind of issue with your Motherboard firmware. Possibly a bios issue. The reason I say this is because you only have this issue once power is completely taken off the system. This means that something (cmos chip or other electronic device) is malfunctioning. How old is your equipment?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Dave D.

Dave D.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:35 PM

Thank you for the reply... It's about five or six years old.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

I would look to start saving some money to invest in some upgrades. But you might want to try the Bios/Firmware updates. You can find them at the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 Dave D.

Dave D.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:59 PM

I am a total beginner at this... How do I find out the motherboard manufacturer?
Thanks Again.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

What is the make, model and type of your PC?

#7 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

You can look at your motherboards model number. Usually will be in big white letters on the board inside the computer. Sometimes inbetween PCI slots, or close to the processor. You cant miss it (will be something like MS-7232). Google that model number followed by Drivers or Updates. You will usually find a match to the manufacturer. If not post that model number here and I will help you with some links to their site for that model.

Gavin Seabrook

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

I am seeing a lot of references to MS update (KB911895) causing problems.

It should be listed in add\remove programs. I would uninstall it then go to Windows updates and mark that update as "Do not show". Should take care of the problem.
It appears to be an optional one so your security will not be effected.

This would explain why a System Restore seem`s to cure it as you are probably rolling your system back to a time prior to it being installed.

#9 Dave D.

Dave D.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:24 AM

Thanks again for the assistance... The computer was given to me so I have no info on it.
It says MSI with intel inside pentium 4 next to that on front of computer. (I don't know if that's the make and model)

When researching this, I had read that this update (KB911895) had caused problems for some - but I checked my update history and this has been on my computer for some time and I have also checked after using system restore and it is still there next to ~{HID Non-User Input Data Filter}~ only the yellow (!) is gone.

I guess I will have to take a look inside when I get the chance for that model #. I hate to have it out of circulation for to long because my wife uses it for transcription work. Otherwise I guess if I just go to stand by mode and don't shut it down completely it will still be usuable until then.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:27 AM

Is the update listed in Add\Remove programs ?

Make sure Show updates is checked.

I see no harm in uninstalling it to see if it helps.

#11 Dave D.

Dave D.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:48 AM

Thank you for the "Show Updates" tip. I agree with you on uninstalling it to see if it helps. But it wasn't there in add and remove programs. I get up for work at 4:30 a.m. so I am going to have to address this again tomorrow... But I do appreciate all the help and advice..................................................{Dave}

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:44 AM

HID's are most commonly USB devices. Have you removed any USB devices if you have them plugged in?

#13 Dave D.

Dave D.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

Hi!
I have a cordless mouse that plugs into a USB port. If you mean have I unplugged them and plugged them back in. I have done that, but I have not unplugged it and tried to restart computer without anything being plugged into USB ports. I had read while researching this HID issues often times was related to a cordless mouse or keyboard that uses USB. That is the only reason I unplugged and plugged back in. My wife uses a thumb drive that she plugs into a USB port on front of computer and does transcription work and then removes it. It never stays constantly connected to computer. I don't know if that could cause a problem or not - but thought I would add that in so as to cover all my bases.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

From what I see...that KB indicates an optional driver download you asked for, possibly relating to keyboard/mouse.

I would remove it.

There's no reason to trust driver downloads from Windows Update, many have problems after doing so. The best place to get drivers is the respective system/motherboard/component website.

Louis

#15 Dave D.

Dave D.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

I have my computer set to automatic updates, and I did notice that when I uninstalled the HID Non-Input Data Filter - it just restored upon restart and (KB911895) automatically downloaded as a security update. I will have to see if I can figure out where it's at so I can un-install it. Although I can't figure out why it's just now causing problems after being on the computer for over a year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users