Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Best Graphics Card?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shortymac

shortymac

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:17 PM

I want to play games like WOW and guildwars, which video card should i get?

i'm looking to spend about 200 bucks on it and i have an AGP
Despite many reverses, freedom has won many battles. Many died in those battles in the conviction that to die in the struggle against oppression was better than to live without freedom. Such a death is the utmost assertion of their individuality. ~ Erich Fromm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 freezerburn16

freezerburn16

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:24 PM

you can get a good video card that runs all those games for under 200.
my fav site is zipzoomfly.com it has everything really cheap. i would go with
and ati radeon card. the 9600 or 9800 are really good cards. my guess is they will rum WOW
at 60 - 100 fps
well let me know how it goes
Fb
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Clawhammer)
ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express 256MB DDR3
4Gb Kingston HyperX KHX3200/1G DDR400 PC3200 Memory
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D nForce4 Ultra
Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition 120GB

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:24 PM

3 letters: SLI ....... running 2 video cards on one machine.....

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

short but sweet heretic monkey... he said he wanted an AGP vid card for under 200 smackers. last i checked, SLI came for around 600 w/o the mobo.

BTW no offense

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:45 PM

short but sweet heretic monkey... he said he wanted an AGP vid card for under 200 smackers. last i checked, SLI came for around 600 w/o the mobo.

BTW no offense

Lol, none taken.... my comment wasn't really meant to be taken seriously, and thus was completely irrelevant to the discussion....... oh well

BTW: Whatever you chose, i suggest with picking ATI or nVidia...... almost every comparison i've seen of like-powered cards, ATI comes out on top.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 16 November 2005 - 11:45 PM.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:22 AM

Look around for a GeForce 6800GS, which you can find for 200 bucks.

EDIT: Sorry, I don't think there is an agp version. Then you might want to look at a Radeon X800GTO 256MB.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 17 November 2005 - 01:39 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:27 AM

World of Warcraft isn't a very demanding game. MMORPGs in general play great at around 30 frames per second. WoW is on the SLI certified list, but SLI is total overkill, particularly since you wouldn't notice any difference.

$130-$145 buys you an Nvidia 6600GT. I can tell you first hand that WoW looks great on it with all settings maxed. Just make sure you have 1GB of system RAM.

I'd have to disagree with ATI beating Nvidia at any given price point though. The benchmarks I've seen have been the other way around, but not by any significant margin.

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:03 PM

World of Warcraft isn't a very demanding game. MMORPGs in general play great at around 30 frames per second. WoW is on the SLI certified list, but SLI is total overkill, particularly since you wouldn't notice any difference.

$130-$145 buys you an Nvidia 6600GT. I can tell you first hand that WoW looks great on it with all settings maxed. Just make sure you have 1GB of system RAM.

I'd have to disagree with ATI beating Nvidia at any given price point though. The benchmarks I've seen have been the other way around, but not by any significant margin.

Yea, I've heard 6600 gt's are good. Also, I've heard that ati's newest series has a good mid-range option the x1600, but I haven't used ATI at all nor do I know if thats out or not.

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:10 PM

I wouldn't abandon ATI so fast, especially since their new drivers from last week that gave a great performance increase in OpenGL. The 6600GT is a nice card, got one in a machine, but the x800GTO does beat it nicely (~30-50%). The x800GTO is a scaled down x850xt and as such can even be unlocked for more performance if you want to.

At the moment Nvidia is leading almost everywhere, even if it is with only a small margin. But the 200$ class agp cards happens to fall to ATI.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:34 PM

The latest reviews claim that nVidia is the best - but that'll change next week. Personally, I don't like ATI products - but many others will swear by them.

Video cards are constantly changing. Right now you can spend about $1000 on 2 video cards for SLI and have the hottest thing on the planet (or darned near it) - but then you've gotta add the cost of all the other high end equipment to support it. Otherwise, you'll end up with the best video in the world running on a 500 mHz Duron or Celeron - not a pretty picture! (pun intended):thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:00 PM

Yeah, I don't have too much experience with ATI products, so I'd have to agree that you need to do your research to find the best solution for any given situation.

Let me just say that WoW is actually playable using a five year old GeForce 2 GTS with only 32MB RAM. In highly populated environments, you'll stutter some while the card grabs textures from hard drive, but 1GB of RAM helps that a lot. That gives you an idea of how little GPU power WoW and other MMORPGs require.

Just one last comment: on SLI pricing, you can certainly spend $1000, but that's if you go to the extreme. On the low end, you can use a pair of 6600 GT cards ($280), a very heavy duty power supply ($100) and a brand new SLI mobo (Asus A8N-SLI Premium is the high end at $170 but Gigabyte does decent boards and offers an SLI model for $106 at NewEgg). Then again, you can go all high end and use a pair of 7800 GTX cards for around $1300.

#12 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:12 AM

3 letters: SLI ....... running 2 video cards on one machine.....

thats what i opted for only got the one card at the moment but gonna wait till after xmas

#13 freezerburn16

freezerburn16

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:36 PM

I would still go with an ati card. i find that you get more for your money. i have rarely seen a nvidia card beat an ati card as far as gaming goes. but i have friends how run gforce cards and they work just fine.
Fb
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Clawhammer)
ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express 256MB DDR3
4Gb Kingston HyperX KHX3200/1G DDR400 PC3200 Memory
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D nForce4 Ultra
Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition 120GB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users