Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think Autorun I deleted was needed for my Recovery partition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cat33

cat33

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:46 PM

CODE
[AUTORUN]
SHELLEXECUTE=Info.exe folder.htt 480 480

Is the the notepad I somehow deleted but I can't find my notes and don't know how I got there? :thumbsup:

I deleted the notepad entry back in August because I thought I had an autorun virus problem or something. Now I have read stuff that makes me think the autorun activity was really normal activity related to my emachines d drive which is my recovery part and protected by Pcangel.

I don't think all antivirus software properly recognizes pcangel. I have had ok luck with mcaffee for more than 3 years but I wanted away from mcaffe when all those computers had problems back in April but avast and alvira didn't seem to agree with my system. I wonder if alvira was giving me false positives by bleeping when info was going into my d drive. I wonder if that is what is normal with pcangel.

The computer they talk about in this link is not the same as mine but mentions pcangel.
http://www.911cd.net/forums/lofiversion/in...php/t22874.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:36 AM

What is your issue?

#3 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:28 AM

I removed a lot of infections from my computer in the summer. It made me aware that I don't understand how to do a repair install or reformat if I should ever need to. I thought I had a "recovery disk", all that I needed, but now I am not sure. It appears that in 2006 when I bought my computer I was suppose to make disks. My "recovery disk" seems to only be a piece of the puzzle. I have also read that windows xp media center 2005 can not be slipstreamed. It seems based on stuff I have read on different sites I would have to do a recovery repair or install back to 2006 factory settings and then add service pack 3 and all the updates. Even if I wanted to do that, I don't know if I can get what I need because I should have made disks in 2006.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...3e-4f283e6b13dc

I guess my goal now is to make a recovery disk that would bring my computer back to what it is now even though it is not perfect it would be better than starting over. I guess what I want to do is prepare in case I get an infection that can't be destroyed.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:30 AM

What kind of computer do you have? Make and Model number would be sufficient.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:40 AM

A friend of mine formatted his recovery partition on a MCE laptop(HP?), after researching the options on repairing MCE he finally called the manufacturer and they sent him the full restore disks for a nominal fee.

Others are reporting that the oem manufactures have run out of these disks.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

Sorry, I just recently learned how to use imageshack. I guess I got carried away. I was not offered a log for the scan I had screenshots of and didn't feel like typing out the info. I don't know how to ask my question. I don't know much about computers. I didn't realize it would look like an advertisement.

Edited by cat33, 13 October 2010 - 12:26 AM.
Removed portions of posts determined to be Advertisement. ~BZ

#7 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

Can you state again, what exactly is the issue you are having?

#8 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:16 AM

In August, after I deleted the autorun entry, I went to a site with a good reputation, but I am not going to say which one because I don't want to seem like I am advertising anything. I got a free scan but they wont fix major things unless you pay so I don't want to go back for another scan. I thought I had deleted a screenshot of the scan that made me think I had damaged something to do with my boot ability but I couldn't remember what the message was.

They said my computer was not set for automatic updates from microsoft but on the day of the scan I checked it and saw that it was indeed set for automatic updates. So I figured maybe I shouldn't trust them. Sometime later, maybe a few weeks later, I got a microsoft update which proved I can still get microsoft updates.

I have heard the complete set of restore disks only cost about $20. If they don't have any, I can learn how to use linux.

But I deleted or disabled any autorun or autoplay thing I could find. When I was done I couldn't play a dvd movie automaticly like before. I got to wondering did I also delete my ability to boot from a cd if I ever needed to?

Anyway the issue is resolved. I don't have to boot from a cd and if I ever need to, I can ask for help then. I have wasted a lot of time worrying about deleting something that I might never need. The microsoft fixits from microsoft's website made some changes to my computer and indicated my computer is ok now.

I feel better having found the screenshots and looking at the info. Not as bad as it seemed when I didn't have time to look at them and accidently put them in a folder I don't normally put pics in. This is what they said about a boot issue:

Recovery Console status-Your computer recovery console is not properly adjusted. This could lead to being unable to resolve a no boot situation.

The scan site was wrong about microsoft updates so they might have been wrong about that to. Anyway, now that I can look at it, I realize it says "could lead to". That doesn't mean it will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users