Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop won't boot in safe mode, blue screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bug1965

bug1965

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

Hello:

After turning on Dell Inspiron e1505, I get a blue screen with no mouse. Tried rebooting in safe mode, but it gets hung up after about 10 lines of drivers being installed. Tried rebooting from "last known working" but nothing. Pretty much tried every option in safe mode, but can't get to windows.

I did enter Dell's diagnostic (cntrl f11) and was able to see hard drive files through the norton ghost program which i never purchased, so i wasn't able to do a system restore. But all files are still there.

My guess is some driver might be corrupt in Windows XP Media Edition, but I am not sure. I am not sure how to reinstall drivers, the reinstall disk from Dell says it's not for that, but only to reinstall windows. I can't even get to the CD anyway since it doenst' show up when I enter safe mode.

Any thoughts where to go from here? Never reinstalled, so I dont know if I would lose my programs and files, but I can't do that, I need all those files!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

R

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Usually when you boot into safe mode no drivers are loaded.

I think you may have a problem with your hard drive.

I believe the Dell diagnostics has a disk checking tool to check for hard drive problems.

Your hard drive may be the issue here.

Your BIOS screen is accessable through pressing F2 during boot up in case you needed to know that.

I am going to provide some Dell web site support links.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=dhs

Here is a link to the Dell hard drive diagnostic tools for checking for hard drive problems.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=dhs

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

Oh and I also want to add a link to a support page for your laptop.

http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index....ironI6400/E1505

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 bug1965

bug1965
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

thanks for the quick response. i already ran the diagnostics, both the short one and the extended test and both came back working.
so now my question is should i reinstall windows. i configured the boot process to start at the cd drive so now i can get to windows cd to repair or reinstall. but i am afraid of losing my files, any other thoughts? thanks

R

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

Please try the repair option first, this option will not format your hard drive, it is supposed to only repair the operating system's files.

It may remove any windows updates you already had installed, but you can update those again once the repair has been performed.

Now on the other hand, the install option will most likely offer to format your hard drive where Windows is originally installed, this most likely will either move your original windows folder and rename it Windows.OLD and create a new folder called Windows.
This folder will be a NEW install of Windows, to which your computer will use and this Windows will be like having a NEW computer again.

Your original files, would be in the now moved WINDOWS.OLD folder.

So you are better off doing the repair option FIRST.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users