Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yaho group members spam it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mattius

Mattius

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

Hi folks, I wonder if you can advise please.

I run several Yahoo groups (Freegle/freecycle etc), occasionally (and very often these days) a member (usually not a very active one) send
a spam email - like the canadian healthcare one etc.

The member has obviously got all the email addresses of anyone that has mailed her available to spam to
so to prevent any new members or those that the infected members has not already got what we do is simply
remove them from the group, email them telling them why and what they should do (run malwarebytes/change pw etc).

This seems to work quite well, 95% of the time the infected member is no longer interested in the group anyway.
For the 5% that would like to come back in I generally ask them to run Malwarbytes & then Hijackthis and send in the logs
so that they can be looked over for suspicious software etc.
Seems to have worked - It forces them to run some decent software & I get proof that they have done it.

I also ask them to change their email account passwords.

(Most are yahoo or hotmail accounts).

Can you suggest any other actions that I could take to try and protect the rest of the group(s) (4k+ members).

Also, which forum on here should I be posting hijackthis logs into for a 2nd opinion?

Cheers,
Mattius.

EDIT:Moved to more appropriate forum~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 10 October 2010 - 10:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:49 AM

Do you have to approve messages before they are posted? If not, change your group settings.

#3 Mattius

Mattius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

IN general yes we do approve first.

But it is not the posting email address that gets spammed usually, it is the owners email address as well as many of the members.

When someone joins, until they have shown that they are posting using the correct subject line format that is insisted upon
and not taking the mick they are moderated, we unmoderate them eventually :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users