Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone isint recognized

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NathanSteinmetz

NathanSteinmetz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

Hi, I got a SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [B400] sound card. I got a logictech headset (dont know the exact kind but just a microphone/headphone deal). Working on a Microsoft WIndows XP SP3.

The problem is when I have my microphone connected to the soundcard it seems to not be recognized. I try to test it and nothing comes out. Ive upgraded all of my drivers for the soundcard and also Ive pulled out my soundcard and put it back in, but nothing that I do seems to get the microphone to be recognized. Ive tried every slot on the card (including the one marked for microphone) and still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated because im about to kill my computer lol.

TY for any help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Have you checked your volume controls in your sound properties?

Make sure the microphone is not muted.

Make sure the volume is enabled and pointing to your sound card.

If you are not sure where your volume controls are, you can start by right clicking your speaker icon in the system tray and choosing the proper option to enter the volume controls properties.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 NathanSteinmetz

NathanSteinmetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

Yes the microphone isint muted sadly.

Thank you for your time =).

Edited by NathanSteinmetz, 10 October 2010 - 05:09 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

Okay if you have sound coming from your speakers, this means your sound card is working and the drivers for it are installed.

There is no separate drivers just for a microphone. So we will not be looking for one of those.

Can you test this microphone on another device to be sure that the wires near the microphone or plug are not broken or shorted?

There is a possibility the jack for the microphone plug on the computer is damaged.

The major hardware problem with both microphone plugs and jacks, is the fact that they end up being pulled beyond their length and damage to either the plug's wire or the microphone jack is the result.

Now the question is, how do you know which is the damaged item?

If the microphone works on another computer, we know it is not the microphone.

We now have to concentrate on the microphone input jack for possible damage.

If it checks out as being damaged from the microphone wire being pulled the wrong way, it will need to be repaired.

I highly do not think you have a driver issue here at all, you may not have selected the proper sound card setting in the volume controls, if it has a drop down menu, you need to choose the proper option for your Sound Blaster sound card from this menu.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 NathanSteinmetz

NathanSteinmetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Cool beans. Ya when I put in any sound devices it works properly. I dont remember ever pulling out the microphone out of its slot incorrectly, I was always pulling it out with the microphone plug in hand (not pulling it out with a cord), but that could be it. Is there anyway I could figure out if its actually broken and how would I fix that (if I can)?

Or should I just see if I cant get a microphone with a usb connection working?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:57 PM

I want to ask you if you have looked into the volume controls for your Sound Blaster software.

Its been a while since I have used the Sound Blaster sound card software and the SB sound card I had was the SB Live! sound card.

But I do remember the software that installed with the drivers had special volume controls and other sound effects features.

Bruce.

#7 NathanSteinmetz

NathanSteinmetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

How would I check that or even find that? hehe Ive been right clicking on the volume control, and i have the microphone sound all the way up.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

Are there any icons in your system tray that are related to your Sound Blaster sound card?

Bruce.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

By the way I think it is time I got the Creative web site up here for further support.

I have tried to link you directly to the drivers page for your sound card, it just won't work, the web site is setup where you have to choose the hardware from the main page yourself.

So all I can do here is give you the main web site URL.

http://support.creative.com/

Sorry about that.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 October 2010 - 07:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users