Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista freezes after start up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sammie1988

Sammie1988

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

Every time i turn my computer on, it will load up to the desktop and then about 30 seconds after it will just freeze up. I can't press any keys and the mouse won't move. The only option i have is to reset it but even that doesn't work so i have to turn it off at the back. Sometimes it takes me up tp 6 tries to get it working without it freezing.

About 2 months ago i had this exact same problem. It gradually got worse to the point where it wouldn't turn on at all and would just stay on the screen (i don't know what you call it but its black and has the white writing with options) and would go round in circles saying i could try a system restore but that wouldn't work. At the time i also tried it in safe mode and the same happened. It froze up then too. So i went to a computer repair shop and they supposedly fixed it.

But now it is happening again. The only good thing i guess is once i get it turned on without it freezing is that it works for the whole day with no problems. It's just that first time i turn it on in the day. I have checked for viruses, registry errors, everything i can think of but it is still doing the same freezing thing.

This is from speccy about my system info...
Summary
Operating System
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz 37 C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7380 (CPU 1)
Graphics
HP w1907 @ 1440x900
896MB GeForce GTX 260 (nVidia) 42 C
ForceWare version 258.96
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST350041 8AS SCSI Disk Device (IDE)
Optical Drives
SONY DVD RW DRU-860S SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

If you need any-more information, tell me how to find it and i will tell you. Thanks in advance :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

Can you try creating another account and see if it happens with the new account?

Control Panel > User Accounts

#3 Sammie1988

Sammie1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

Ok i will try that and get back to you tomorrow because it only seems to do it when i turn it on for the first time in the day.

#4 Sammie1988

Sammie1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:14 AM

Can you try creating another account and see if it happens with the new account?

Control Panel > User Accounts

Ok so i am on this new account now and it hasn't frozen. If i would have logged on in my normal user it would have frozen. This is weird. What does this mean?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:22 AM

That means your other account is corrupted. You can migrate all files from your old profile to your current one and take ownership of them.

#6 Sammie1988

Sammie1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

That means your other account is corrupted. You can migrate all files from your old profile to your current one and take ownership of them.

Oooh lol so how do i migrate the files? Thank you so much for your help btw :D

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

How do I fix a corrupted user profile?

#8 Sammie1988

Sammie1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

How do I fix a corrupted user profile?

I've got to step 7/8 and it only wants to copy the files into the same folder. There is no option for me to locate the new user account. Is there any other way i can copy the files because it is confusing me a bit :S

I think i understand now... it works like copy and pasting a piece of text i guess... i have to find the new folder and paste it in there?
Please forgive me i have been up since 2am because of work and it is now 9pm!

Edited by Sammie1988, 11 October 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

The new user will be in c:\users

#10 Sammie1988

Sammie1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:49 AM

Ok so i'm back to the same problem. I have transferred most of my files over and i turn it on this morning only for it to freeze again on the new account. Do you think maybe one of my files is making it freeze? Or could there be something else wrong? I've tried numerous virus checks, etc and nothing has turned up.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

It is probably one of the files you have saved in your profile. If you new user account didn't freeze until you started to migrate files over then something is definitely awry.

#12 Sammie1988

Sammie1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

Is there any software that i can use to find out what it could be? Like something that will list the date and time that i've downloaded anything or changed/installed anything? Because the orignal problem started in August so it could be anything! :S

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:34 AM

I do not know if such a program exists or not.

#14 Sammie1988

Sammie1988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:58 AM

Ok i guess trial and error method then!
But i just logged into one of the new accounts and this one has no files on it at all and it froze. Somebody told me it could be my hard drive causing this problem? But i don't know. I tried to get it repaired but the problem came back after a few months and i still have no idea what to do!

#15 rodia

rodia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

SOLVED
After many days I restart in safe mode (I had done this many times), then restart and press F8 > choose repair mode (first time I saw it) > recovery 32 bit (something like this was the sequence)

I selected system or windows check and it appear that chkdsk started, after some hours a corrupted file was detected and fixed, now it seems that my laptop is working so I hope it will keep in such state for a long time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users