Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with router configuration.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:58 AM

I'm really hoping someone here can help me out with this, as I'm at a loss as what to else to try. I've been at this for hours now.

I have a Thomson router/phone/modem from Comcast that is working, however the wireless signal is pretty sketchy and only Wireless G. What I want to do is hook up my Netgear N router through this and use that instead for WIFI. After much reading, googling, and trial and error I have my PC recognizing both hardware devices through Network and Sharing Center. I can access both using their IP addresses in my browser. Basically I want the Thomson to just be a Modem, and I want the Netgear to handle the WIFI.

Thomson is set as DHCP server with a range 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.98
Netgear is set with DHCP off and it's IP address is 192.168.0.99

So I've got: Internet in > Thomson > Netgear > PC.

The internet on this PC is wired, and it is indeed working routed through the Netgear. However, the Netgear is not putting out a wireless signal and I don't know why. Netgear tech support says I have to open ports, but they want to charge me $36 to tell me how. How do I know which ports to open? Is there any other steps that I have to take? Do I open ports on the Thomson or the Netgear? Any help or insight is appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

hey doug, i'm no expert but
have you tried using the netgear as dhcp server and turn the thompson dhcp off. wireless device may not be receiving ip . alternately you can set fixed ip for wireless device and put it in thompson config.

#3 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have indeed tried that, but thank you for the idea.

Both devices have a static IP address.

I'm thinking my problem may be that I was connecting LAN to LAN. I now have it connected LAN to WAN, but Windows does not recognize the Netgear modem, and I cannot access the configuration using the IP through the browser. Oddly if I plug in another ethernet cable LAN to LAN from Netgear to Thomson I can use the internet on my PC.

I believe what I'm trying to accomplish here is setting up a second wireless network through the first network? I'm not even sure at this point.

So, what I have now is: Internet in > Thomson > Thomson LAN > Netgear WAN > Netgear LAN > PC
And with this I have no internet and an unrecognized network. *sigh* I realize this is extremely confusing so if any additional information is needed from anyone please let me know. Thanks, and I welcome any other ideas.

#4 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

I called Comcast and they swear that the Thomson isn't a router modem combo, but just a modem. Even though it has multiple LAN ports and WIFI... So, I guess the Netgear just doesn't play nice with it because I've been at this for hours. Idk what else to try.

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

go back to Netgear LAN >, wired working first (yes) then enable wireless on netgear that should be it.

thompson must be router to handle wireless traffic as well as multible wired devices. this capability can be turned on or off in config.
also LAN and WAN ports can also be manipulated in the router software to use it for one or the other.
what models are the routers ? so we can look at the manuals.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

just checked my config and i can't believe it works but both my routers have DHCP enabled.

internet > router1 DHCP enabled, connect:use WAN(not Wan port: option in config so it will acquire IP from ISP), IP 192.xxx.xxx, wireless enabled > LAN to LAN > router2 DHCP enabled, IP 192.xxx.xxx, default gateway = IP of router1, wireless enabled > devices

both routers are seimans, same model

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users