Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Vista with XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

okay
so i want to triple boot XP, Vista, and Ubuntu.

My main objective is to first get XP and Vista working smoothly, I'll worry about Ubuntu later.
How do I install so that Vista doesn't neuter XP?
I have two partitions already, 40gb for XP, 100gb for Vista. Will this setup work? I have 2gb RAM, which is enough for Vista Ultimate right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GMmasterking

GMmasterking

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

You can install Ubuntu in the first 40gb partition and then install Vista and Xp in the second partition using this guide http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_wi...screenshots.htm
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

I've never booted linux distro...but MS has always suggested that the older version of Windows be installed first...then install the more recent version.

When you do this, the Vista bootloader will take over the booting of both Windows versions. Just an admin note but something to be aware if problems should develop with booting either version of Windows.

Personally...I would delete any partitions currently on the hard drive (assuming that you are installing both on same drive) and then just use the MS install CDs to install XP and Vista.

If you are using CDs which are not MS Genuine XP CDs (recovery/restore CDs provided by the system manufacturer), you need to be aware of the possibility of deleting necessary partitions by doing as I do and deleting all partitions prior to install.

I would also suggest adding a partition for data files, installing Windows and programs for that version...on the same partition. If you do that...and keep movies, pictures, etc. on the data partition, XP will be fine with a 20GB partition.

Louis

#4 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

I see
thank you. I mostly do this stuff for fun. I'm primarily a Mac, so I just screw around with my desktop whenever I have spare time. Vista over XP went perfectly. Now to try Triple booting...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users