Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange hardware problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

My 4 year old AcerPower FH has been doing some very strange things. I wrote a while back about my disappearing and reappearing slave drive. I have pulled it from the system for now.

Another problem has been that it very often won't power on. I have to push the power button repeatedly and then it will suddenly power up.

Today I discovered that if I unplug all usb devices it will power up. I'm sure tomorrow it will be different.

I looked on the Acer website for system drivers and it appears they have stopped supporting it.

Another thing - when I plug in a usb device I always get a message that this device would be faster if plugged into a usb 2.0 port but they ARE all 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The warning you are getting about USB 2.0 is really being displayed because you are using the USB port that is most likely on the computers front panel, these ports connect to the motherboard through a set of thin wires that are insufficient to carry data streams in two directions sufficiently without bottle-necking.

This problem is common with desktop computers, but not with laptop computers.

You will find that this warning goes away if you use the USB port that is incorporated into the motherboard.

Since USB ports on the computer case, usually use small cheap wiring harnesses, they can not carry as much data as a larger gauge wire, the length of the wires makes a difference as well.

To correct this problem, connect the USB device to the port that is DIRECTLY soldered to the motherboard, this port would be the one on the back of the computer case.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:07 AM

I looked on the Acer website for system drivers and it appears they have stopped supporting it.

If you post your computer make and model number, I will try to find your driver support pages for you.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 kimr

kimr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:07 PM

If you post your computer make and model number, I will try to find your driver support pages for you.

Bruce.

It's an AcerPower FH desktop running XP pro 32 bit. Thanks, Bruce!

#5 kimr

kimr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The warning you are getting about USB 2.0 is really being displayed because you are using the USB port that is most likely on the computers front panel, these ports connect to the motherboard through a set of thin wires that are insufficient to carry data streams in two directions sufficiently without bottle-necking.

This problem is common with desktop computers, but not with laptop computers.

You will find that this warning goes away if you use the USB port that is incorporated into the motherboard.

Since USB ports on the computer case, usually use small cheap wiring harnesses, they can not carry as much data as a larger gauge wire, the length of the wires makes a difference as well.

To correct this problem, connect the USB device to the port that is DIRECTLY soldered to the motherboard, this port would be the one on the back of the computer case.

Bruce.

I get the warning also with them plugged into the rear ports. Maybe the drivers for the motherboard will fix this?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

Okay, if this link works correctly, this should link you to your drivers.

http://us.acer.com/acer/service.do?Languag...;CRC=2054404012

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users