Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removing partitioning of hard disk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xRichyx

xRichyx

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

Hello All

My wife has an ASUS laptop running Vista. The Hard Disk Drive is divided into two partitions. One partition that has the Operating System and majority of saved files on it is nearly full whilst the other partition remains unused. Would it be possible to somehow merge or remove the partitions so the full capacity of the HDD gets used.

Apologies if this is the incorrect area of the forums for this post and thanks for any information where it should be posted if this is the case.

Disk partition details below:

Posted Image

Attached Files

Edited by xRichyx, 10 October 2010 - 07:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:37 AM

Below are two good sites that give directions and explanations on resizing, what you can delete, etc.
using the Vista Disk Management. Be sure to read all before using Disk Management.

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t11.html
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95418-di...ete-extend.html

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 xRichyx

xRichyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

Thanks Buddy

It would appear from the information in your links that I will be unable to remove/merge the partitions on my HDD using the Vista Disk Management Utility as some of the space within the existing partitions has been allocated. I have some understanding of PC building but know absolutely nothing of Disk Partitioning as I always install my HDD's without partitions.

I have now added a screenshot to my original post showing the current HDD partioning. We obtained this laptop secondhand and as appears to be the case with all ACER PC's it had the HDD preconfigured with partitions.

Any further suggestions gratefully received.

Richy

Edited by xRichyx, 10 October 2010 - 07:49 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,883 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:59 AM

Have you considered using a flash drive/ card or external HDD to store pics, videos, data files, emails, etc?

If you have a card reader, here is one that I'm thinking of getting.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211245
A-DATA TurboSD SDHC 16G-------------$26.99

EDIT: You can gain some space by cleaning up and defragmenting the HDD. See the info in links below for doing that in Vista.
Temp files, logs, system restore, etc can take up a lot of space over time.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ng-Disk-Cleanup
After cleaning:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...-your-hard-disk

Edited by buddy215, 10 October 2010 - 10:16 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

There's no logical reason...that pictures, videos, other data files...should be stored on C:.

I suggest moving such files which are on the system partition...to your second partition.

Logically, you are better off with two partitions than with only one on a single hard drive. It theoretically reduces the chances of putting all files in jeapordy...if partition, file system, or hard drive problems develop.

Louis

#6 xRichyx

xRichyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hello Buddy

Yes I am planning on getting a HDD that can be connected to the network/router in our home for use by all users in the household for backup/transfer/storage of files.

For the meantime I think I will follow the suggestions in the post by hamluis which suggests making the most of the partitioned hard drive.

Richy

Edited by xRichyx, 10 October 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#7 xRichyx

xRichyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

Thank you Hamluis for your suggestions.

So I can improve the performance of the Laptop by storing media files etc on the D section of the partition whilst reserving the C section of the partition for storage of the operating system and program files

Could you or other readers of the forum confirm it is ok to just cut and paste or use the send to command for transfer of files from one partition to the other or is some other method the norm for transfer of data between partitions.

Also will the filepaths automatically be converted to their new locations on another partition and what is the best way for setting where files will automatically be saved to ie which partition certain types of file will be saved.

Richy

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

For any data file...cut-and-paste is how I move them :huh:. I probably move files from one partition to another moreso than the average user :huh:.

Programs, of course, cannot be moved from one partition to another.

As for saving downloaded files...I always get a dialog box which reflects the last location I downloaded to. If I want to change that location for current download...all I have to do is browse to the location desired.

Louis

#9 xRichyx

xRichyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Hamluis

I will try moving the data files from the C to D partition to free up some disk space and leave program files where they are. Next time I upload some photographs I will check the setting of where they are going to be saved to ensure they are to the D partition.

Richy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users