Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to get a file off an old ide hdd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 willythecat

willythecat

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:28 AM

Windows XP SP3
A quick run down - My external drive which contained all my backup data and programs decided to die on me (motors gone), and nothing was recoverable.
My existing 30gb IDE drive was slowly running out of space, and as my mobo was IDE only l thought it time to get some new hardware.
The new system comprises of one sata drive split into C and D partitions, another sata drive labelled as F, my old IDE cd rom labelled as E, and my old IDE cd/dvd writer labelled as G.
I asked a shop here in France to sort it out, and sort it out they did. What a disaster! A long story but l'm finally back to how it was, just, and l've got the old formatted IDE C bootable drive in my hand as we speak.
There is one file on there that l really need to get (will save me weeks of work to recreate it) but l didn't want to dive in and mess things up.
Do l just disconnect both my existing IDE drives and hook this one up temporarily?
Do l need to do anything with the bios boot up drives?
Oh and also, the jumper is missing from the drive so l don't know if that effects anything.
Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

A couple of options.

First, the free solution.

A; After powering off the PC temporarily disconnect one of the optical drives. It should have a jumper on it as well. After making a note of the jumpers position, M or S or CS, remove it and place it in the same position on the hard drive we are working with.

Plug it into the same position on the cable you removed the optical drive from.

Start up your PC.
Allow XP to fully boot. The Found new hardware wizard should find and install the hard drive.
Open up My computer. The new drive may or may not be reflected. If it is`t proceed to step B
If it is, then you will probably need to follow the directions found here >How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP.

B; If the drive does not appear in My computer you will need set it as active.
To start Disk Management:
1. Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
3. In the console tree on the left, click Disk Management.

Your new drive will show up on the right with the other drives. It will not have a letter assigned. Right click on the area representing it and select "set as active".

Since your intent seem`s to be only temporary use of the drive I would not bother assigning a drive letter.

Hopefully this should get you access to your needed data. If not then please post at which point the process failed and we`ll see what we can do.

The second option is to get an external hard drive enclosure or caddie. These allow hard drives to be placed into them and then connected via a USB or firewire port to any computer without having to open the case up.

Edited by ThunderZ, 10 October 2010 - 09:21 AM.

#3 willythecat

willythecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

Thanks TZ,
The first option worked a treat. Not having done this before, suppose l just wanted confirmation in what to do.
Much appreciated (easy once you know how).
Regards

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

You are :thumbsup:

Wish they were all this easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users