Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fujitsu T4220 randomly freezes up while surfing the net

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 helpcook

helpcook

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

Just bought a used T4220. Ocassionally when I'm on the internet it will freeze up. First the display screen will go blank like it's trying to reboot. Some of the destop icons will appear, but not all of them. So I end up having a partial screen with some of the icons showing, but none of the keys, etc. work. I have to turn the system off and restart it to use the computer again. Again, it only seems to get the problem ocassionally when using the internet, although I downloaded some software the other day which took almost 2 hours with no problem, only to have it happen again randomly when surfing the net. Any ideas? If it helps any I did have one program freeze, didn't do what I mentioned above, just froze & had to reboot.

I do have other laptops using the same wireless router with no problem

Thanks,

Nancy :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Please post the following information.

Operating system, if it is 64 Bit please let us know. Also what service packs if any.

Also I realize you have a laptop, so please post the video driver you are using right now.

Lastly, I might be suggesting that you monitor the processor temperature for a possible over-heating issue, this is very common with laptops, because there is not much air flow to begin with and if dust begins to build up inside the laptop, it makes it difficult for sufficient air flow to remove heat from the laptop.

You should invest in a can of compressed air (Found at most computer or electronic supply stores) and point the plastic straw into any air vents to blow dust out of the unit.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 October 2010 - 09:35 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 helpcook

helpcook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:13 PM

It's running Windows 7 Professional and is a 32bit system.

How do I tell the kind of video driver I have?

How do I tell what if any service pack it has?

Laptop just froze up again & I wasn't on the internet. Perhaps it is an overheating problem.

I see it has a Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family under Display Adapters - Is this the Video Driver?

Thanks for the help & fast response.

Edited by helpcook, 09 October 2010 - 10:22 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:03 AM

It's running Windows 7 Professional and is a 32bit system.

How do I tell the kind of video driver I have?

I see it has a Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family under Display Adapters - Is this the Video Driver?

Thanks for the help & fast response.

Thank you for posting that information I requested from you. :thumbsup:

You are welcome for my help and also I want to thank you for coming to Bleepingcomputer. :flowers:

You are correct that is your video driver under display adapters.

Here is a link to the Fujitsu web site and to your T series T4220 LifeBook owners manual.

http://solutions.us.fujitsu.com/www/conten...091-02EN-00.pdf

There are drivers on their web site as well, but I can not direct link you to those, so here is the support site's link.

http://support.fujitsupc.com/CS/Portal/supportsearch.do

It is my belief that you should purchase a can of compressed air, this can be found at most stores that sell computer accessories.

If you are in the USA, Radio Shack and Staples Super Stores carry this product.

Once you have a can of compressed air, attach the plastic straw into the hole in the spray nozzle and insert this straw into any or all air vents, giving momentary spurts, because the can gets very cold, the nozzle will freeze up if you use continued spurts.

Blow as much dust out as you can.

Once you have blown out all the possible access holes, try using the laptop again and post back the results to me.

Has this resolved the problem?

If not, then you may need to do a deeper cleaning, this will involve opening up the laptop.

Also, most important is to make sure the cooling fans inside the laptop are spinning and doing their job of keeping things cool.

Please keep me posted.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 helpcook

helpcook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:06 AM

Will do. Thanks

#6 helpcook

helpcook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

Tried using the compressed air, didn't seem to work. Checked Intel's web site to make sure I had the most current display driver, I did.

I did see when the laptop freezes up "Display Driver Not Responding". It does seem to freeze up more frequently when i'm on the internet. I had this happen 7 times in 15 minutes today. Finally just turned it off.

Questions:
1. Could the WLAN have anything to do with this?
2. Is there a program you could recommed to check the CPU temperature?
3. Would you recommend I download run memtest.org?

Just at a loss.

Thanks
:thumbsup:

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

I would recommend either of these two FREE programs for monitoring the temperatures.

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

SpeedFan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

To test for issues with your RAM, these two programs, which are also free, will do the trick.

Memtest86 4.00 http://majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html (This has to put on a boot-able disk and that disk has to be booted to)

Windows Memory Diagnostics http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

If you are having issues with your WLAN, I have to ask if you have the current drivers for your wireless adapter or the Ethernet adapter for this laptop.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users