Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing an issue with LinkSys router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeanclaude

jeanclaude

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

I recently ran into an odd problem with my phone and cable Internet, both of which I get through Comcast and run through the same modem. I lost telephone and Internet services at the same time for about half an hour, and then found that the phone started working while the Internet did not.

The next day, I called Comcast and we went through the whole list of common solutions to fix the problem. I turned off the firewall, did ipconfig renew and refresh, cleared a lot of settings and cookies, and all of that. The computer still did not work, but the technician said that everything on his end was fine.

I later plugged the computer directly into the modem rather than my router, and found that it worked this way. However, there are three computers in this house and I'd like to make sure we can all use the Internet. I updated the router's firmware, tried unplugging and plugging the wires back in, and used the reset button; none of these worked. I am currently able to access the firmware screen, but cannot use it to access the Internet.

When I try to access a page I do not get an immediate error message, but rather, it will attempt to load for about ten seconds before timing out. The connection bar does not fill at all during this time.

I don't have the instructions for the router, so I'm not sure what else I can do, as I am terrible at using the Internet for research. Are there any other steps I can take to ensure that I won't have to buy an expensive new router?

For anyone generous:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
LinkSys wireless-G router (WRT54GS v. 6.0) updated to latest firmware
Comcast cable modem SBV5220

Thank you very much! I am poor and not good with computer hardware, so any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:27 PM

You've done everything you can to resolve your issue with the router. Based on the fact that your computer gets an internet connection when plugged directly into the modem, it's likely that your router has died.

A service outage should not affect the router-you should have been able to connect to the internet with the router.
I've had a few outages with Comcast, and have not had any issues with my router after the service came back up.

If you need a new router, you don't have to spend a lot of money for one. The best thing to do is research (it's easy to do) first.
Go to the websites of stores in your area (Office Max, Office Depot, Best Buy, etc) and see what routers they have and how much they cost. You can get a decent router for less than $50.00. Need a wireless router? Search only for wireless routers. Check their sale ads from the Sunday paper. You don't have to buy a newspaper for the ads. Just look for the Weekly Ad link on the webpage. They always have routers on sale.

My Linksys router died a few months ago, and I purchased a D-Link wireless at Office Depot for less than $50, There's a wide range of prices, and hopefully you can afford something on the lower end.

As always, someone else may have suggestions for you to try before you decide a new router is needed.

edit to add: User Guide-Linksys WRT54GS

Also, just to let you know that if in the future you have Comcast specific issues, there is a place where you can get help for a wide range of issues without having to call Comcast.

Comcast help forums. Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, customer service, billing, and internet connection.

Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

Post in the appropriate forum for your issue. We will do our best to help you resolve your issues and answer any questions you have.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 October 2010 - 11:05 PM.

#3 jeanclaude

jeanclaude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

Thank you very much for all your help. I'm glad to know I can just install a new router and get this all taken care of. And, sorry that this ended up in the wrong forum; I didn't realize.

I wasn't aware that there were forums specifically for Comcast issues, and it looks like this will be very useful for me. I'll be sure to forward the link on to some of my friends as well.

#4 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

If the router is shot there is a last ditch effort.

It is called a 30-30-30 reset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users