Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a used HDD/need guidance

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 newagedavey11

newagedavey11

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hello, and thank you for your time.
I am running a D865 MOBO, with 2 GB DDR Memory, and using 2 HDD,s (1) 40 GB, and (1) 80GB, I am running out of space, and I have a used 120 GB HDD, from friends computer, which is full of viruses from what I am told.
My query is, can, and how do I get it(120 GB HDD) into my computer.I gather that I will need to partition and format the 120, not sure how to proceed, should I connect 120 and start my Comp, then go to disk management, and do necessary steps from there? As you can guess, I am not that computer literate, but willing to learn. Again thank you for your time and patience.

Newagedave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:10 PM

What kind of hdd is the 120GB, ATA, PATA, SATA?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 newagedavey11

newagedavey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding, I am afraid I do not know what of drive, I really do not know how to tell which is which. any tips for finding out? I will be monitoring replys for the rest of the day. Thanks for your swift response

#4 newagedavey11

newagedavey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:29 PM

Ok I also forgot to add the fact that 120 is Western Digital, as is the 80, and the 40 is a Maxtor.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

Are the two hdds inside the case connected by a IDE ribbon type cable to the motherboard? Does the third hdd connect the same way?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

This link will show you what a IDE PATA connector looks like.

Thsi link will show you what a SATA connector looks like.

#7 newagedavey11

newagedavey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the link to tutorial. The new/used HDD is IDE, as is the original (2) HDD,s. From what I read, and after looking in the case, I may not be able to physically use three HDD,s without a ribbon cable that has Master-Slave-Slave, secondary Master-Secondary Slave connectors.
Again thanks for your perserverence in this matter. I await your reply!
Newagedave

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

If your PCI slot is empty you could use a IDE (Ultra ATA/133) Controller Card to connect the third hdd.

#9 newagedavey11

newagedavey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

Ihave a PCI slot left, so that will work. Now, do I connect HDD first, boot up and then go to Disk management to partition and format? On second thought, I should ask what do you reccomend to do next?
You must have the patience of a saint. Thanks again for your help.

newagedave

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

This should be a plug and play device, so installing is the first step.

I have a preference in situations where there is any question of what is on the hdd that you are going to install, I prefer to wipe the hdd with a program like WipeDrive. Formatting will only cover the parts of a hdd that have been written to. Wiping the hdd will overwrite the entire hdd providing you with a clean slate. If you are interested, you can download this program here.

Do you have the installation CD for the operating system?

Edited by dc3, 11 October 2010 - 08:32 PM.

#11 newagedavey11

newagedavey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

I do not have any software, any drivers I need I have DL,ed off the internet. Thank you for link, to WipeDrive, and the excellent advice. Would Installation CD, be the same as the original copy of XP Pro That I used when I started. If so I only have the Key Code. I put together my computer
about 5 years ago. It has been thru some tough times, but is still running fast and strong. I thank this website and it's advisors for that, also.
So, where should I go from here dc3?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:42 AM

You can use the New Partition Wizard to format the hard drive.

http://www.xpmaximized.com/archives/xp-usb...ve-format-.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users