Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Not Found

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kaylacox

kaylacox

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

Okay, this is a complex problem, and this fits under about 3 different topics, but the most urgent is that my computer no longer can find my hard drive. I ran data lifeguard and it says "no drive found". I don't think the problem is with the actual hard drive, but rather with the boot sector, but since my computer won't recognize my drive at all, then I'm at a loss as to what to do.

This all started with a spyware/malware problem with google redirects that kept recurring, even after I got clean AVG/Malwarebyte deep scans. Since the problem kept recurring, I ran HijackThis and fixed the things that needed to be fixed. The problem kept happening, so I ran checkMBR.exe and followed the instructions. It told me to reboot, so I did.

Then I got the black screen of death. I can't remember the exact wording, but it said basically to check cables. I researched the message and it said that it meant it was trying to use the network to boot up, which really meant the hard drive wasn't being found. Luckily I have a laptop that works, so I was able to find a Vista boot disk iso, burned it with imgburner, and I was able to get what I thought was a bit further. The Vista screen comes up, and asks whether I want to install Vista or Repair it. I choose repair it, but it doesn't find any versions on my computer. Also of note, my C: drive appears as having 0 mb and it says it needs to be formatted before I can use it.

Since C: isn't detected properly, I can't run fixboot or any of those commands.

If I don't use the Vista Boot CD, I get an "Error loading operating system" black screen of death.

I have been tinkering with this for hours and I'm about to pull my hair out. Is there anyone who can help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I have seen this error before, however I would like you to open your computer case and disconnect the data cable from the hard drive and reconnect it, also do the same on the motherboard to the same data cable.

Please make sure the cable connectors are pushed all the way into the sockets on the motherboard and hard drive.

Post back the results.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 October 2010 - 07:44 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 kaylacox

kaylacox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the response, Bruce. Did as you asked, no change.

#4 kaylacox

kaylacox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

Also, just now I ran the DISKPART> LIST VOL command in the command prompt screen, and it shows that Volume 0 Drive C is RAW, under type it says "Partition" it lists the correct size (298 GB) and the status is healthy. So I guess in some ways this points to it being able to "find" the hard drive? Does the "RAW" have something to do with why Windows won't boot?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

Please use the following software to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Edited by dc3, 09 October 2010 - 09:41 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 kaylacox

kaylacox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:16 PM

Is there a bootable version? Because windows doesn't boot.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:14 AM

Sorry about that, I had three topics going at the same time.

No there isn't a bootable version.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 kaylacox

kaylacox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:26 AM

Okay, so since my last post I've made some progress! So now it's more of a Vista problem. I've started a thread here about what's going on now. Thanks for the help, dc3 and Mr. Bruce. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users